Dementia Care System Redesign
Dementia Care Project Highlights - June, 2014
- Arranged the Regional Listening Sessions scheduled to occur in July 2014 at
five locations across the state.
- A meeting was held with the Dementia Care Subcommittee of the Long Term Care
Advisory Council to discuss Dementia Care Guiding Principles (formerly
"Standards") and Training.
Community Awareness and Services Team:
- An initial meeting was held with public employees regarding dementia capable
- The process to hire Division of Public Health dementia friendly community
project staff was initiated.
- A federal grant application was submitted to the Alzheimer's Disease
Supportive Services Program. If awarded to the Department, the grant will be
utilized to provide targeted dementia caregiver support in the African American
communities in Milwaukee and Dane County, with a focus on testing evidence based
Facility Based Long Term Care Team:
- The Dementia-friendly facility design workgroup met to plan a meeting with
physical environment specialists to identify elements of a dementia-friendly
facility, including designs that optimize privacy and create a homelike setting.
- Identified a number of facilities to visit that represent statewide
distribution, certification and licensure type.
Crisis Response and Stabilization Team:
- Developed a template plan outlining survey goals and methods that align
with the data collection needs of the Dementia Care Redesign Plan.
- Collaborated with the Facility Based team to develop questions to ask
during planned facility visits.
Dementia Care Guiding Principles and Training Team:
- Three external stakeholder workgroups, facilitated by UW Oshkosh, were held
to obtain comments and suggestions on the development of the Dementia Care
Research and Data Team:
- Met with a research team from the Minnesota Department of Health to discuss
an opportunity for an evaluation and fiscal analysis of the Memory Care
- Met with the Division of Public Health, Office of Health Informatics to
finalize the plans for the implementation of the Behavioral Risk Factor
Surveillance System Cognitive Impairment module for 2015.
Last Revised: July 28, 2014