Housing and Architectural
- WIHousingSearch.org (exit
- If you are in need of help finding housing, a new website is available to assist you in your search.
The WIHousingSearch.org website is a free resource to help you find
a home that fits your needs and budget. Property providers can list
apartments and homes for rent any time, which means that the list is
- Access Main
Street (exit DHS)
- This website offers resources to promote universal design,
accessibility, inclusion, and ease of use within all aspects of the
- ADA Guide for
Small Businesses (exit DHS; PDF, 956 KB)
- This guide presents an informal overview of some basic ADA
requirements for small businesses that provide goods or services to
for Accessible Design (exit DHS)
- Guide to scoping and technical requirements for accessibility to
buildings and facilities by individuals with disabilities under the
Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990.
Code in Wisconsin (exit DHS; PDF, 339 KB)
- Commercial building code chapter on barrier-free design from the
Department of Safety and Professional Services.
- Home Modification Resource
Center (exit DHS)
- University-based, non-profit organization dedicated to promote
aging in place and independent living for persons of all ages and
- Resources for Religious
- Information about building accessible congregations.
- Universal Home Design (PDF,
- Information about the benefits of universal home design.
Home Design Guide (exit DHS)
- A practical guide to universal home design.
- Visitability: A New Twist on Access
(PDF, 23 KB)
- Information on how homes can be designed in such a way that they
can be lived in or visited by people who have trouble with steps or
who use wheelchairs or walkers.
Fair Housing Law (exit DHS)
- Information about housing discrimination and fair housing
- Benefits.gov (exit
- GovBenefits.gov is the official benefits website of the U.S.
government, with information on over 1,000 benefit and assistance
- Disability.gov/Housing (exit DHS)
- Disability.gov is the federal government's one-stop Web site
for people with disabilities, their families, employers, veterans
and service members, workforce professionals and many others.
Disability.gov connects people with disabilities to the
information and resources they need to actively participate in the
workforce and in their communities.
- Gap Financing for Home
Purchase & Rehabilitation (exit DHS)
- Link to Movin' Out, Inc., a housing organization providing
information and assistance, housing counseling, and gap financing
for purchase and rehabilitation to Wisconsin households with a
member who has a permanent disability.
- HOME Loan from the Wisconsin Housing and Economic Development
Authority (WHEDA) offer long-term, below-market, fixed-rate
financing for low- to moderate-income, first-time homebuyers.
Program (exit DHS)
- Information from the Department of Commerce on the HOME-Homebuyer
and Rehabilitation Program (HHR).
- Project Home for Dane County (exit
- Provides affordable home repairs, weatherization and accessibility
modifications for low to moderate income homeowners.
- Rental Help in
WI (exit DHS)
- Information about rental help available in Wisconsin such as
subsidized housing or public housing from the U.S. Department of
Housing and Urban Development.
Home Repair Loans for Low-Income Elders (exit
- This program provides loans and grants
to very low-income homeowners to repair, improve, or modernize their
dwellings or to remove health and safety hazards or
to complete repairs to make the dwelling accessible for household
members with disabilities.
Incentives for Business Accessibility (exit
- Information about the disabled access credit that is available for
small businesses and the tax deduction that is available for
businesses of any size to help offset some of the costs of improving
accessibility for customers or employees with disabilities.
Roy Foundation for people with spinal cord injury (exit
- Information about grants available to paraplegics or quadriplegics
paralyzed due to a spinal cord injury, which can be used for home
modifications and other purposes.
- Veterans Grants for Home Modifications
- The goal of the Specially Adapted Housing (SAH) Grant Program is
to provide a barrier-free living environment that affords the
veterans or service members a level of independent living he or she
may not normally enjoy.
Public Housing Authority Contact Information (exit
- Contact information for Public and Indian Housing Authorities in
- WisLoan Program
- The WisLoan program offers loans for assistive technology such as
hearing aids, modified vehicles, wheelchairs and ramps.
PDF: The free Adobe Acrobat Reader
software is needed
to view or print portable document format (PDF) files. Learn
July 11, 2014