Department of Health Services Logo


Wisconsin Department of Health Services

Aging Home Page


Benefit Specialists

Elder Abuse

Family Caregivers

Healthy Aging

Information & Assistance

Long Term Care Resources



Send us an email

Benefit Specialists

Benefit specialists help older adults and people with disabilities with questions and problems related to benefits such as Medicare, Medicaid, Social Security, FoodShare and health insurance.

Disability benefit specialists serve adults with disabilities ages 18 to 59.

Elder benefit specialists serve people age 60 or older.

Work incentives benefit specialists (exit DHS) help people who receive disability benefits with questions related to employment income.

What can a benefit specialist do for you?

  • Provide accurate information about a wide variety of programs that cover healthcare, food and other household expenses

  • Help you to identify and apply for programs that will best meet your needs

  • Help with an appeal when eligibility or coverage is denied

  • Advocate on your behalf with other parties

  • Refer you to an appropriate attorney when necessary

Where can I find a benefit specialist?

You can find a benefit specialist at the Aging and Disability Resource Center or aging office in your county of residence.

If you are a tribal member, you may choose to contact a tribal benefit specialist.

If you are deaf, hard of hearing or deafblind and need help with your benefits, you may choose to contact the Deaf Disability Benefit Specialist at the Office for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing. These services are offered statewide.

Questions about how working might affect your disability benefits? Contact a work incentives benefit specialist (Exit DHS).

Last Revised: June 18, 2014