Department of Health Services Logo

Wisconsin Department of Health Services

Adult Protective Services Home


Aging Services

County Staff
and Other Professionals



Additional Resources

County/Tribal Help Lines

Contact Us

To report abuse of an adult at risk
(age 18 to 59),
call your county helpline.
To report abuse of an elder
(age 60 plus),
call your county helpline.
To report abuse in a nursing home
or other long term care facility,
contact the Division of Quality Assurance.
To report abuse outside of Wisconsin,
contact NAPSA (Exit DHS).

If I call to report alleged abuse, what will I be asked?

If you believe someone you know is being abused, neglected or financially exploited, you can call your county elder abuse or helpline.  Your identity is kept confidential by law and cannot be disclosed pursuant to a court order.  When you call, you will be asked what happened, when and where it occurred, and the name of the elder or adult at risk.

Here are several questions you are likely to be asked. Remember, you are not required to know all the answers:

  • the name and address of the adult at risk

  • the person's age

  • the type of abuse (what happened that led to your suspicions?)

  • the name of the caregiver or guardian, if any

  • the name and relationship of the suspected abuser, if any

  • anything else you think it is important to report

If you are unsure a situation warrants an investigation, contact your county's elder abuse or agency with questions. More information about what constitutes abuse, neglect and exploitation:


Last Revised:  August 08, 2014