Perform independent, objective assurance and consulting
engagements for DHS programs and operations
The Internal Audit Section within the Office of Inspector
General for the Wisconsin Department of Health Services (DHS)
performs independent, objective assurance and consulting
activities designed to add value and improve DHS operations. It
helps DHS accomplish its objectives by bringing a systematic,
disciplined approach to evaluate the effectiveness of risk
management, internal control, and governance processes. Internal
Audit does not assume any operational or program responsibility.
The internal audit function may:
- Conduct internal audits of department programs,
operations and systems.
- Assess the effectiveness of the design and execution of
the system of internal controls and risk management
- Perform periodic risk assessments and report risk
exposures and control issues.
- Investigate crime, misconduct, and/or mismanagement by a
DHS employee, grantee, or contractor.
- Evaluate information technology (IT) systems, services
and controls to ensure compliance, adequate security and
- Provide technical assistance, consulting and advisory
services related to security issues, governance, proper
internal controls and risk management.
- Serve as an in-house test engine, independent of the
area being audited, subject to authoritative standards and
reporting the results to management so that the overall
performance of the agency can be improved.
In addition, the Internal Audit Section has responsibilities
related to audits of agencies that are external to DHS and that
are required to have independent audits as a condition of grants
These responsibilities include:
- Collect and review audit reports to assess whether the
audits meet the applicable audit standards and whether the
audit reports show issues of concern to DHS.
- Provide technical assistance on audit topics to
department staff, grantees, contractors, and independent
- Update and maintain instructions to independent auditors
to apply when auditing DHS funding.
Information for agencies and auditors on DHS requirements for
administering and auditing government funding can be found at
September 20, 2013