Primary Care Programs
How do I Request a Shortage Designation?
Professional Shortage Area designation
(primary care, dental or mental health HPSA):
Underserved Area/Population designation
for new communities to apply for federal community health center funding:
- Which path you are taking to try to start a new
Community Health Center (new applicant, planning grant,
partner with existing CHC, etc.)
- Which area
you are targeting for a new CHC site
- Where your
community is in terms of in readiness to meet all federal requirements to submit
an application for a new CHC.
Governor's Shortage Designation for Rural Health Clinics:
- Please send a written request by e-mail to
WI HPSA team
- The Primary Care Office will prioritize requests for existing
RHCs which do not have a current HPSA designation.
- Your request needs to identify:
- Reason for your request: to retain an existing RHC or
to establish a new RHC in an area without a current HPSA
- Proposed service area.
- RHC contact person who will help collect primary care
physician FTE data for their service area (contact's name, phone
and e-mail address).
- It can take 6-12 months to review your request, collect the required provider
data, submit a state application to HRSA, and for HRSA to approve a
guarantees - The Primary Care Office works very hard to see if
communities can meet federal criteria for a shortage designation, but
cannot guarantee that an area will meet the criteria required by
PDF: The free Adobe Reader® software is needed
to view and print portable document format (PDF) files. Learn
June 19, 2013