Information/Tips for Easter and Passover
Easter and Passover are when families across Wisconsin gear up for Easter egg hunts, and
prepare the Seder plate for Passover. Make sure to keep your family safe
foodborne illness by following these tips:
- Always wash hands with soap and water before and after handling raw
- Avoid cross-contamination by washing utensils, counters and other
surfaces that touch the eggs.
- Refrigerate eggs until they are going to be used. (Uncracked
air-dried eggs can remain unrefrigerated up to a day.)
- Donít eat cracked or dirty eggs. Bacteria can enter cracked eggs.
- For Easter, consider decorating one set of eggs for eating, and
another for hiding. Use only food-grade dyes when decorating eggs.
- Hide eggs in places that are protected from dirt, pets and other
sources of bacteria.
Inspect eggs before purchase at the store. Make sure they are not
cracked, broken or dirty. Buy and use eggs before the "Sell-By"
or "EXP" (expiration) date on the carton. You can store
hard-boiled eggs in the refrigerator (at 41 degrees or below) for up to a
So get ready Ė and have a safe and happy holiday time!
November 05, 2012