Mendota Mental Health Institute - Therapeutic Recreation Internship Program
Guidelines and Requirements
Services Department at Mendota Mental Health Institute (MMHI) provides year-round
internship programs for students in therapeutic recreation. The following process is used
to communicate with, screen, interview and place students in our program:
A student should
make initial contact two months to one year before the affiliation start date. Send a
letter of interest with a resume to the Director Rehabilitative Services.
If an internship
is available, the student will be sent a packet including a questionnaire, student
handbook, and housing information.
must be returned within two weeks. It will be reviewed by the Director of Rehabilitative
Services and the Therapeutic Recreation Student Coordinator.
questionnaire is reviewed, the student needs to contact three staff therapists for
interviews to determine the best placement for his or her internship. The Director of
Rehabilitative Services, along with the three interviewing therapists, and the Therapeutic
Recreation Student Coordinator will consider the student's interests and provide a
placement in the most appropriate program area.
letter will be sent to the student identifying the term of the internship, program
assignment and supervisor.
General Requirements for all Student Interns
While participating in an internship at MMHI,
each student is required to:
- Keep a journal
- Meet regularly with the supervisor
- Visit two Mendota units (four hours minimum per visit)
- Visit two outside agencies (four hours minimum per visit)
- Give an in-service (30-45 minutes minimum; topic must be
approved by the Director of Rehab Services)
- Meet documentation requirements of a Certified Therapeutic
Recreation Specialist (CTRS) at MMHI (e.g., assessments, treatment plans, weekly and
monthly summaries, use of protocol format, flow sheets, annual updates and evaluations)
- Develop treatment groups and recreation participation
- Gain knowledge of the multidisciplinary team process
- Gain knowledge of the Rehabilitative Services procedures and
- Gain knowledge of diagnostic groupings (e.g., treatment
progression, symptomatology, etc.)
- Participate in department and unit meetings
- Complete an internship project, approved by the Therapeutic
Recreation Student Supervisor
- Attend an exit interview with the Director of Rehab Services
Student Supervisor Requirements
The Rehabilitative Services Department has
established requirements for supervision of Therapeutic Recreation Interns at MMHI. Each
supervisor of a Therapeutic Recreation Intern must:
- Be a Certified Therapeutic Recreation Specialist (CTRS).
- Have two years work experience as a CTRS.
- Have approval from the Director of the Rehabilitative
Services Department,Unit Manager, and his or her supervisor.
- Complete medical records documentation requirements.
- Meet assessment, treatment plan, and progress note
- Meet the expectations of the Department Organization
Performance Improvement Plan.
- Develop a system for documenting recreation participation
activities conducted on the assigned unit
MMHI provides meals for Interns. Housing is
also available on a limited basis.
If you have questions about this program you may call:
Director of Rehabilitative Services at (608) 301-1601 or
Therapeutic Recreation Student Coordinator at
Mendota Mental Health Institute
301 Troy Drive, Madison, WI 53704
Phone:(608) 301-1000 Fax:(608) 301-1358
April 16, 2014