Medication Aide Instructor Questions & Answers
1. Where should the DQA required medication aide forms be sent?
- Doug Englebert
1 West Wilson
Madison, WI 53701
2. I have a potential student who does not have 2,000 hours as a
nurse aide, can they take the course?
3. A nursing home wants to have someone take the medication aide
course, but because of past violations, the nursing home has a prohibition
on nurse aide training. Can they have nurse aides take the medication aide
4. What types of training and who can train the 4 hours of annual
in-service required to maintain medication aide status?
5. If a student or sponsor does not pay but has passed the
course are we required to submit them to the registry?
- You do not need to submit them to the registry.
6. During clinical does a medication aide student need to complete
all skills listed on the skill evaluation list?
- No. In some facilities, some routes of administration may not be
available at the time of the rotation. Medication aide students should
complete all routes available or those routes the facility will expect
them to complete when working as a medication aide.
Those skills that are tested shall be left blank on the skill
If, at a later date, a medication aide will complete routes of
administration not completed on the check list, the registered nurse,
as part of delegation, shall assure the medication aide is competent
7. Can nursing students test out of the medication aide program?
- There is a procedure for individuals who have had medication
administration training in the past to apply to test out of the
medication aide program.
Individuals who wish to test out may use the Challenge Exam Form
and send the required materials to Doug Englebert.
Doug Englebert will review the application and, if the person is
eligible to test out, a letter will be sent to the student and to the
approved medication aide program who will be administering the
challenge exam test.
The letter the medication aide training program receives will
indicate what the individual applicant needs to complete. In all
cases, the applicant will need to complete a written final exam.
In some cases, the student may need to complete a lab practicum
and/or a clinical rotation. Doug Englebert will contact programs prior
to sending letters to assure the program is willing to work with an
8. What does a medication aide need to do to maintain status?
- Medication Aide must complete four hours of in service and one
hundred hours of work each calendar year. See BQA
July 22, 2014