Long-term care options counseling is an extension of the I&A process. This service is focused on consumer education and is often provided when an individual is planning for or currently experiencing a life change. These life changes may include surviving a traumatic event such as a car accident, a medical event such as a stroke or the transition from school-based services to programs for adults with disabilities.
Options counseling is a decision-support process whereby consumers are assisted to evaluate and weigh their long-term care service options. Examples of decision support include assistance evaluating housing options, assistance sorting through home care and personal care options, as well as helping a person decide to move or stay in their current residence. To be effective in providing this service, it is important to take the time needed to fully understand each individual?s strengths, and preferences as well as needs. In order to ensure continuity in service delivery, options counseling can be provided by the same I&A Specialist that began the discussion with the individual.
Options Counseling Tool Kit:
Welcome to the Long Term Care Options Counseling Tool Kit: A Professional's Guide.
This tool kit supports the delivery of long term care options counseling, a service of Aging & Disability Resource Centers (ADRCs). It contains key information that will help professionals to improve their skill and knowledge in providing this service.
The tool kit is divided into sections:
The communication module contains several scenarios describing common issues and the needs experienced by people who contact ADRCs. Communication guides highlight key questions, items to consider and potential resources that are also discussed in this segment of the tool kit.
- Introduction to Assisted Living
- Introduction to Assistive Technology
- Serving People who are Blind or Visually Impaired
- Supporting People with Developmental Disabilities
- Supporting People with Physical Disabilities
- Working with Older Adults
A series of webcasts, including power point presentations was developed to provide information on critical subjects relevant to long term care options counseling.
- 2015 ADRC Statewide Survey Results: An Overview for Information & Assistance Specialists
- An Overview of Lien Law and Estate Recovery
- A Focus on Long-term Care Enrollment Counseling
- Managed Care - Long Term Care: An Overview
- Part 1: Medicare: An Introduction to Part A and B
- Part 2: Medicare: An Introduction to Part C and D
- Part 3: Medicare: An Introduction to Cost Savings Programs
- Introduction to Assistive Technology Kits for Aging and Disability Resource Centers
- Introduction to Ombudsman Programs
- Introduction to Legal Decision Making tools with an Emphasis on Guardianship
- Vision-Mission-Values of Aging and Disability Resource Centers
- Health Insurance Marketplace Basics, October 2013
Printed Training Materials
- Options Counseling Initial Discovery Training Guide (P-00496, PDF, 264 KB)
- Orientation Manual Information & Assistance and Options Counseling (P-00497, PDF, 1.15 MB)
Information and Assistance / Options Counseling Instructional Guide (P-00885, PDF, 164 KB)
Information and Assistance / Options Counseling Feedback Tool (P-00885a, PDF, 116 KB)
- Considering a Move: The Cost Calculator Can Help (P-00546, PDF, 1.89 MB)
- Next Steps My Planning Guide (P-00498, PDF, 668 KB)
- Next Steps My Planning Guide, Hmong (P-00498H, PDF, 670 KB)
- Next Steps My Planning Guide, Russian (P-00498R, PDF, 680 KB)
- Next Steps My Planning Guide, Spanish (P-00498S, PDF, 527 KB)
Technical Assistance Documents