The following policies and procedures are being revised and/or rescinded to reflect the statewide Accounting System (STAR). Please see the DOA Wisconsin Accounting Manual (WAM) for more detail.
- 1.0 - Control of Input and Output for Accounting Systems (PDF; revised March 21, 2017)
- 1.1 - Submission of Vouchers to the Bureau of Fiscal Services (PDF; revised December 13, 2016)
- 1.12 - Special Check/Voucher Processing and Check Distribution (PDF; revised March 21, 2017)
- 1.4 - Erroneous Entries in the Accounting System - (PDF; revised December 13, 2016)
- 2.0 - Department ID Designation Changes - (PDF; revised June 5, 2016)
- 2.1 - Project Codes for Federal Grants (PDF; revised May 17, 2016)
- 3.0 - Transfer of Revenue for Grants and Services - Pending WAM procedure link
- 4.0 - General Service Billings in STAR (PDF; revised August 24, 2017)
- 4.1 - Bureau of Information Technology Services Billings (PDF; revised September 13, 2016)
- 4.2 - State Self-Funded Property Insurance Program - Pending STAR procedures
- 5.0 - Invoice/Voucher Approval and Certification of Goods and Services Received (PDF; last revised June 22, 2016)
- 5.1 - Prompt Payment of Vendor Invoices - see WAM Accounts Payable, Prompt Pay (Section 5 subsection 2)
- 5.2 - Use of Appropriation 975 for Prompt Payment (PDF; revised September 25, 2017)
- 7.0 - NSF (Not Sufficient Funds) Check and Other Returned Items Processing - see WAM Revenues and Accounts Receivable, Miscellaneous Receipts (Section 7 subsection 4)
- 9.1 - Legal Services Account Codes - (PDF; revised October 25, 2016)
- 10.0 - Use of Clearing Appropriations (PDF; issued January 20, 2016)
Summary of Accounting System Processing - STAR
These procedures cover a range of topics associated with accounting system transactions, processing in STAR and system standards including appropriation use and prompt payment. The DOA Wisconsin Accounting Manual (WAM) and the DHS website, Accounting Services, provide further information and should also be reviewed.
- Accounting System input and output policies for sub systems and special check distribution requirements must be followed for good internal controls and to prevent fraudulent payments. Accounting System Processing 1.0 covers these policies including standards and procedures for separation of duties for payment voucher processing and review and approval of sub systems outside of the official accounting system STAR.
- Standards for submitting or preparing certain vouchers for BFS to process (such as state building trust funds), and addressing entry accounting errors are covered in Accounting System Processing 1.1-1.4.
- Special voucher and exceptional check distribution procedures are covered in Accounting System Processing 1.12 including the accounting and approval process required if checks are not processed through the normal process in STAR. Any exceptional check request and approval must be approved by the Bureau of Fiscal Services Expenditure Accounting Section and only be released if separation of duties are followed as specified in this APP.
- System procedures for Department ID changes, federal grant codes, are covered by Accounting System Processing 2.0, 2.1. These procedures are also applicable for federal reporting, budgeting, and appropriation control.
- Specialized payables and processing (such as General Service Billings and IT Billings) are discussed in Accounting System Processing 4.0, 4.1.
- Prompt Payment requirements and procedures for invoice/voucher approval are detailed in Accounting System Processing 5.0, 5.1 and 5.2 as well as the link to the WAM. Unless exempted, payments to vendors must be made within 30 days. Interest penalties also may apply unless notification has been made within the specified time if the invoice is improper or there is a good faith dispute relating to the receipt or quality of goods or services. Certification of goods and services is also covered in 5.0.
- Accounting System Processing 7.0 links the references for the procedures in the WAM (DOA Accounting Manual) for bad checks, NSF (Not Sufficient Funds) or returned checks.
- System accounts for legal services and use of clearing appropriations are covered in Accounting System Processing 9.1 and 10.0.