- 1.0 - Optional Use of Requisitions/Purchase Orders, Confirming Purchase Orders, and Increase Change Orders (PDF; revised April 25, 2017)
- 2.0 - Accounting System Supplier (Vendor) Process (PDF; revised June 3, 2016)
- 3.0 - Purchasing Processes and Transaction Thresholds (PDF; revised April 25, 2017)
- Submission of Purchasing Card Statements for Travel and Taxable Fringe Benefits (see APP Section 12 - Travel 1.01
Summary of Purchasing
The State Bureau of Procurement, Department of Administration, purchases goods and services for the State through direct or delegated authority and establishes policy and procedures for the purchasing function. The State Procurement Manual is the official publication for disseminating policy on the State's procurement function. The State Procurement Operational Bulletin (a numbered series) describes procedures for specific commodities and services. Additional Department of Health Services (DHS) purchasing and travel reimbursement policies are published by the Department Purchasing Section and BFS.
Questions regarding procurement should be directed to the DHS Bureau of Strategic Sourcing (BSS). Procedures which impact on accounting and payment processes are developed by the Bureau of Fiscal Services ( BFS) and include the following:
- DHS does not require requisitions/purchase orders (POs) for most procurements under $5,000. All requisitions/POs should be entered into the Accounting System (STAR) prior to the release of the PO to the vendor. See PURCHASING 1.0.
- The approval process of "confirming (after-the-fact)" purchase orders over $5,000 is described and authorized only for valid reasons. See PURCHASING 1.0.
- All new suppliers or vendors must complete an IRS W-9 Form and STAR information, before the supplier can be added or be paid. A supplier (vendor) must be set up in the Accounting System (STAR) to be paid. See PURCHASING 2.0.
- Purchasing processes and thresholds are addressed in PURCHASING 3.0.
- State Policies on Taxable Travel Reimbursements with Travel Vouchers or Procurement Cards are covered in APP Section 12 - Travel 1.01.