APS: What Happens When Someone Makes a Report?

To report abuse of an adult at risk
(age 18-59),
call your county helpline.

To report abuse in a nursing home
or other long term care facility,
contact the Division of Quality Assurance.

To report abuse of an elder
(age 60 plus),
call your county helpline.

To report abuse outside of Wisconsin,
contact the National Adult Protective Services Association (NAPSA).


Each Wisconsin county has professional people who know how to help. The systems of protection are better than ever before.

The responder's first concern is the safety of the adult at risk. Responders will determine the type of abuse, neglect and/or financial exploitation. Services will be offered as needed to improve the current situation and hopefully prevent any future abuse from happening.

There are many agencies that work to reduce danger and provide services or assistance to victims of abuse, neglect and exploitation. Services may include health care, aging programs (including transportation, nutrition and benefit counseling), domestic violence/sexual assault services (safety planning, counseling, support groups, and legal advocacy) and criminal justice intervention. Other available resources may be offered, including help with home repairs, social connections and legal matters.

Last Revised: November 13, 2018