Disability Benefit Specialists

Trusted. Confidential. Free.
Expert advice for adults 18–59 with disabilities.

What do disability benefit specialists do?

Disability benefit specialists help adults with disabilities answer questions and solve problems related to Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, health insurance, and other public and private benefits.

Get help with:

  • Income, including Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) and Supplemental Security Income (SSI).
  • Health insurance, including Medicare, Medicaid, and other programs that help cover health care costs.
  • Housing and utilities, including shutoffs and financial assistance programs.
  • Expenses, including FoodShare, internet, and phone bills.
  • And more! See examples of the ways that benefit specialists can help you.

Work with a disability benefit specialist to:

  • Apply for Social Security disability benefits, including SSI.
  • Fill out forms for disability reviews.
  • Appeal denials of disability benefits.
  • Compare options for health insurance, benefit programs, or solutions to an issue.
  • Apply for programs that will save you money.
  • Advocate on your behalf with other parties.
  • Refer you to an attorney when necessary.

It's free!

All disability benefit specialist services are free. Benefit specialists don't sell anything and aren't paid by any companies. Their only aim is to help you identify and apply for programs and health care that will best meet your needs.

Who can see a disability benefit specialist?

You can get free and confidential help from a disability benefit specialist if you:

  • Are between the ages of 18 and 59.
  • Have a disability.
  • Live in Wisconsin.

With your permission, family, friends, and caregivers can also talk to your benefit specialist.

Similar services are available for people age 60 and older through elder benefit specialists.

If you have questions about working and Social Security benefits, contact a work incentives benefit specialist.

Find your local benefit specialist

Find a benefit specialist in your county or tribe.

If you are deaf, hard of hearing, or deaf-blind and need help with your benefits, you can contact the deaf disability benefit specialist at the Office for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing.

See a video in American Sign Language about disability benefit specialists. (5 minutes)

Program materials

Brochures (P-23168) are available in multiple languages.

Program statistics are available:


Last Revised: June 27, 2022