Connections to Community Living is a DHS, Division of Long Term Care initiative to help support choice to live in the community for individuals currently living in nursing homes or other institutional settings. The main goal of the Department is making community living a success, by integrating long-term services and supports with health care and housing while building on the promise of equality and full participation for all.
The nursing home staff is required to ask you questions about your care. Some conversations you may have include the following:
- "Do you want to talk to someone about the possibility of returning to the community?" Saying "yes" tells the staff you want more information about the possibility of living in the community.
- Returning to the community is an opportunity for you to live in a house, an apartment, or another appropriate community setting to get the necessary care and services that would otherwise be provided in the nursing home. If you say "yes," it doesn't mean you have to leave the nursing home or guarantee that you'll be able to move back to the community.
- The staff will regularly ask this question, since your needs and the services available in the community may change over time.
- What will happen if I ask to speak to someone about returning to the community? The nursing home staff will contact the Aging and Disability Resource Center (ADRC) for community living. The ADRC will call or visit you to learn what services and support you need. Then, they'll look into available services (like help with your personal and medical care) and programs that may help pay for these services. If the services and support you need are available, you still decide whether or not to start the plan to leave the nursing home.
- You can change your mind about leaving the nursing home at any time.
Some counties have been identified as areas with large numbers of Medicaid funded nursing home residents (PDF 46 KB). In those areas the state will assign Community Living Specialists (CLS) to assist the ADRC with outreach and information to nursing home residents and nursing homes staff.
Links to helpful resources:
- Connections to Community Living Brochure (P-00420) (PDF 808 KB)
- CMS Section Q Brochure (Exit DHS)
- Connections to Community Living FAQ for Consumers (PDF 297 KB)