About Us - History

Central Wisconsin Center for the Developmentally Disabled (CWC) at Madison, one of three residential facilities operated by the Wisconsin Department of Health and Social Services to serve the developmentally disabled, was authorized by the State Legislature in 1953.

Its first individual was accepted in 1959 when two of the present ten buildings became operational. Central Center's staff of approximately 850 persons serve approximately 270 individuals of all ages who require extensive care, treatment, and training.

Last Revised: November 22, 2014