Dementia Care System Redesign
Milestones Completion Dates
Engagement with Stakeholders
- Created a Dementia Care Systems Redesign website, May 2014.
- Conducted “Listening Sessions” with stakeholders in five regions in the state, July 2014.
- Formed the Dementia Care Subcommittee of the Long Term Care Advisory Council meeting bimonthly to review progress and obtain feedback, Ongoing since May, 2014.
Community Awareness and Services
Dementia Care Specialists (DCS)
- Expanded the DCS program to include 20 DCSs serving 26 counties. These numbers include two DCSs specializing in the Memory Care Connections programming for African American communities, Fall 2014 through winter 2015.
- Implemented an activity tracking/data collection system and protocols for reporting, December 2014.
- Issued a Tribal DCS Application for two tribes to create DCS positions, January 2015.
Department of Public Instruction (DPI) Dementia Curriculum
- Collaborated with DPI to prepare an optional dementia curriculum for middle and high school health classes that is being piloted and will be available for broader use in the 2015-2016 school year, December 2014.
Managed Care Organizations (MCO) Dementia Leads
- Created dementia leads in MCOs, May 2014.
- Developed a MCO dementia leads workgroup to address MCO and provider competency and capacity related to serving members with dementia, October 2014.
Dementia Friendly Communities
- Promoted Dementia Friendly Communities in collaboration with AARP through Tele-Town Hall Meetings that reached over 42,000 AARP members, November 2014.
- Creating a Dementia Friendly Communities Toolkit, along with a distribution plan, Est. March 2015.
Dementia Friendly Employers
- Creating a Dementia Friendly Employers Toolkit, along with a distribution plan, Est. March 2015.
Early Identification and Intervention
- Trained 13 MCO dementia leads to conduct screening and to train other MCO staff on screening, December 2015.
- Anticipate training 60 Aging and Disability Resource Center (ADRC) staff to provide screening, April 2015.
- MCOs working together to create guidelines on cognitive screening expectations for staff, Est. June 2015.
- Engaged in information exchanges with Aurora Health Systems and the University of Wisconsin Hospital and Clinics regarding potential approaches to increased screening and diagnosis, January 2015.
Support for Family Caregivers
- Created a plan to revitalize the Alzheimer's Family Caregivers Support Program, November 2015.
Facility-Based Long-Term Care
Wisconsin Music & Memory Program
- Certified 100 nursing homes as MUSIC & MEMORY℠ facilities and provided 1,500 residents with dementia with equipment for personalized music (Phase I), January 2014.
- Certified 150 nursing homes as MUSIC & MEMORY℠ facilities and provided 1,500 residents with dementia with equipment for personalized music (Phase II), December 2014.
- Conducted monthly webinars for Music & Memory facilities bringing in experts in the field of Alzheimer's and other dementia, as well as technical assistance and the opportunity for peer-to-peer support, Effective January 2014.
Promote Quality Care for Individuals with Dementia Living in Long Term Care Facilities
- Worked with nursing homes to implement a variety of alternatives to reduce the use of psychotropic medications, including the Music & Memory program. Since the end of 2013, Wisconsin has moved from 10th to 3rd lowest usage in the nation, September 2014.
Identification of Best Practices in Facility Care
- Published "Assisted Living Strategies to Enhance Resident Care", September 2014.
- Developing a companion piece, "Nursing Home Strategies to Enhance Resident Care", Est. March 2015.
- Conducted a series of visits to nursing homes and hospitals to learn about best practices and challenges, and to solicit provider recommendations on how to improve care for persons with dementia, January 2015.
Mobile Crisis Response Survey
- Conducted a survey to learn about house of service, dementia expertise, and working relationships with adult protective services (APS), October 2014.
Adult Protective Services Survey
- Distributed a survey to APS units to learn about county Emergency Protective Placement procedures, February 2015.
Local Initiatives Regarding Crisis Response for People with Dementia
- Documenting local initiatives related to crisis response for individuals with dementia and identifying information that can be used to develop promising practice material, Est. March 2015.
Guiding Principles and Training
- Drafted ten Guiding Principles for Dementia Care, including examples and resources, to be distributed via the Department website and other channels to be determined in conjunction with the DCSs and other partners, Est. March 2015.
Dementia Care Crisis Response Training
- Engaged the UW-Oshkosh to create and implement on on-line "Crisis Response" training focused on dementia, January 2015.
Directory of Dementia Related Training Opportunities
- Creating a directory to be posted to the Department's Dementia Care Systems Redesign website with links to dementia-related training opportunities, Est. March 2015.
Research and Data Collection
Data Collection Plan
- Developed a system level dashboard metric to allow for monitoring the impact of the dementia capable systems efforts across the state, September 2014.
Printable version (P-00986) (PDF, 236 KB)