Housing Assistance Programs
This information is an overview of public programs that can offer assistance with renovating and weatherizing existing housing, filling energy needs and obtaining access to public housing and rent assistance.
- If you are in need of help finding housing, a new website is available to assist you in your search. The WIHousingSearch.org website is a free resource to help you find a home that fits your needs and budget. Property providers can list apartments and homes for rent any time, which means that the list is always current.
- Access Main Street
- This website offers resources to promote universal design, accessibility, inclusion, and ease of use within all aspects of the community.
- ADA Guide for Small Businesses (PDF,)
- This guide presents an informal overview of some basic ADA requirements for small businesses that provide goods or services to the public.
- ADA Guidelines for Accessible Design
- Guide to scoping and technical requirements for accessibility to buildings and facilities by individuals with disabilities under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990.
- Barrier-Free Building Code in Wisconsin (PDF)
- Commercial building code chapter on barrier-free design from the Department of Safety and Professional Services.
- Home Modification Resource Center
- University of Southern California-Leonard Davis School of Gerontology online professional training program with Wisconsin-specific tools and resources for professionals working in aging, disability, housing, and healthcare settings serving older adults.
- Resources for Religious Organizations
- Information about building accessible congregations.
- Universal Home Design (PDF)
- Home modification plays a critical role in older adults' ability to age in their homes. Beginning July 17,
- Universal Home Design Guide
- A practical guide to universal home design.
- Visitability: A New Twist on Access (PDF)
- Information on how homes can be designed in such a way that they can be lived in or visited by people who have trouble with steps or who use wheelchairs or walkers.
- Wisconsin Fair Housing Law
- Information about housing discrimination and fair housing practices.
- GovBenefits.gov is the official benefits website of the U.S. government, with information on over 1,000 benefit and assistance programs.
- Disability.gov is the federal government's one-stop Web site for people with disabilities, their families, employers, veterans and service members, workforce professionals and many others. Disability.gov connects people with disabilities to the information and resources they need to actively participate in the workforce and in their communities.
- Gap Financing for Home Purchase & Rehabilitation
- Link to Movin' Out, Inc., a housing organization providing information and assistance, housing counseling, and gap financing for purchase and rehabilitation to Wisconsin households with a member who has a permanent disability.
- HOME Loan from the Wisconsin Housing and Economic Development Authority (WHEDA) offer long-term, below-market, fixed-rate financing for low- to moderate-income, first-time homebuyers.
- HOME Program
- Information from the Department of Commerce on the HOME Homebuyer and Rehabilitation Program (HHR).
- Project Home for Dane County
- Provides affordable home repairs, weatherization and accessibility modifications for low to moderate income homeowners.
- Rental Help in Wisconsin
- Information about rental help available in Wisconsin such as subsidized housing or public housing from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development.
- Rural Home Repair Loans for Low-Income Elders
- This program provides loans and grants to very low-income homeowners to repair, improve, or modernize their dwellings or to remove health and safety hazards or to complete repairs to make the dwelling accessible for household members with disabilities.
- Tax Incentives for Business Accessibility
- Information about the disabled access credit that is available for small businesses and the tax deduction that is available for businesses of any size to help offset some of the costs of improving accessibility for customers or employees with disabilities.
- Travis Roy Foundation for people with spinal cord injury
- Information about grants available to paraplegics or quadriplegics paralyzed due to a spinal cord injury, which can be used for home modifications and other purposes.
- Veterans Grants for Home Modifications
- The goal of the Specially Adapted Housing (SAH) Grant Program is to provide a barrier-free living environment that affords the veterans or service members a level of independent living he or she may not normally enjoy.
- Wisconsin Public Housing Authority Contact Information
- Contact information for Public and Indian Housing Authorities in Wisconsin.
- WisLoan Program
- The WisLoan program offers loans for assistive technology, such as hearing aids, modified vehicles, wheelchairs and ramps.