State Health Information Exchange (HIE) Cooperative Agreement Program (CAP)
Wisconsin submitted its application on October 16, 2009, for the State HIE CAP funding opportunity. Wisconsin's project for statewide HIE is titled Wisconsin Relay of Electronic Data for Health or WIRED for Health. The goal of the WIRED for Health project is to build substantial health information exchange capacity statewide to support providers' meaningful use of electronic health records (EHRs) and enable efficient, appropriate, and secure flow of information to optimize decisions for health. The approach is to plan, develop, and implement interoperable, standards-based, secure electronic exchange of patient and health data.
Wisconsin Health Information Technology (HIT) Strategic and Operational Plan
Wisconsin's Plan was initially submitted and approved by the federal Office of the National Coordinator (ONC) for Health IT in December 2010. The Wisconsin Statewide Health Information Network (WISHIN), Inc. is the state-designated entity for statewide HIE governance and is responsible for implementing Wisconsin's HIT Plan. WISHIN is a nonprofit organization formed by the Wisconsin Hospital Association, the Wisconsin Medical Society, the Wisconsin Collaborative for Healthcare Quality, and the Wisconsin Health Information Organization. As a part of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009, Wisconsin received a total of $9.441 million for the planning and implementation of a statewide electronic HIE network and services that will enable health care providers to be meaningful users of EHR technology and promote better coordination of patient care. The statewide network will also help improve the quality and efficiency of health care delivery in Wisconsin. In 2012, WISHIN updated the Strategic and Operational Plan.
Wisconsin HIT Strategic and Operational Plan (PDF, 3.8 MB) Updated May 4, 2012
Original Submission, December 21, 2010:
- Wisconsin HIT Strategic and Operational Plan Executive Summary (PDF, 724 KB)
- Wisconsin HIT Strategic and Operational Plan (PDF, 4.2 MB)
- Wisconsin HIT Strategic and Operational Plan Appendices (PDF, 7.8 MB)
To view a list of all states/SDEs with approved Strategic and Operational Plans, visit the HealthIT.gov website.
A list of the State HIE Cooperative Agreement Program awardees can be found at the HealthIT.gov website.
Wisconsin's HIE CAP Application Documents
- State HIE Cooperative Agreement Program (CAP)
- Program Information Notice 001 - Requirements and Recommendations for State HIE CAP (ONC Supplemental Requirements/Guidance) (PDF, 157 KB) July 6, 2010
- Wisconsin's Notice of Grant Award (PDF, 575 KB) February 8, 2010
- Gubernational Designation of State Agency and State HIT Coordinator for the HIE CAP (PDF, 33 KB) October 16, 2009
- Wisconsin's State HIE CAP Application for the Wisconsin Relay of Electronic Data (WIRED) for Health Project
- Wisconsin's Letter of Intent to Apply for the State HIE Cooperative Agreement Program (PDF, 91 KB) September 11, 2009
PDF: The free Adobe Reader® software is needed to view and print portable document format (PDF) files. Learn more.