EMT services providing 911 response in Wisconsin must:
- Be licensed as an Emergency Medical Technician service.
- Operate under an approved operational plan.
- Operate under approved protocols.
- Operate under the Wisconsin Scope of Practice for the Emergency Medical Technician level.
- Operate with licensed/certified EMS personnel, credentialed with that service.
Licensed EMT's in Wisconsin must:
- Have completed an approved Emergency Medical Technician course and subsequent refresher courses.
- Maintain current certification in CPR for health care providers.
- Hold a current certificate from the State of Wisconsin (expires June 30 of even-numbered years).
- If practicing, be credentialed with a licensed service.
- Follow approved protocols.
Per Wis. Stat. ch. 256, and Wis. Admin. Code ch. DHS 110, every group that operates as or advertises as providing Emergency Medical Technician level service must submit an operational plan and obtain a license as an EMT service. Additionally, all individuals operating as EMT's with a 911 response service must be trained through a Department of Health Services (DHS)-approved EMT program and obtain and maintain a state certificate.
EMT Service Licensure
If an EMT service is not a licensed provider, submit an operational plan. Follow the links below for the needed documents:
Individual EMT Certification
As for any other type of EMS licensure, you must obtain your initial Emergency Medical Technician provider license within 24 months of successfully completing the EMT course. This must be completed from your E-Licensing account. After you have obtained your initial Emergency Medical Technician license, you will need to complete a Local Credential Agreement (LCA) for the service you wish to be affiliated with. Only after both the service director and the service's Medical Director approve the LCA will you be added to the service's roster.
Services that wish to provide in-house, flexible refresher training may do so by following the directions listed for EMT In-House Flexible Refresher Request For specific requirements for all levels, go to the Renewal/Retraining Requirements page.
For further information, contact the Program Coordinator.