Paramedic level services providing Critical Care level service in Wisconsin must meet the following criteria:
- Be licensed as a Critical Care Paramedic service and approved for interfacility transports.
- Operate under an approved operational plan.
- Operate under approved protocols.
- Operate under the Wisconsin Scope of Practice for Critical Care.
- Operate with licensed/certified EMS personnel, credentialed with that service.
Endorsed Critical Care Paramedics in Wisconsin must meet the following criteria:
- Maintain licensure by successfully completing the following education:
- EMT-Paramedic Refresher or 48 hours of continued education.
- 24 hours of continued education at the Critical Care level (this is in addition to the EMT-Paramedic refresher).
- Maintain current CPR for healthcare providers certification.
- Maintain ACLS (PALS/PEPP strongly suggested).
- Hold a current certificate from the State of Wisconsin (expires June 30 of even-numbered years).
- If practicing, be credentialed with a licensed service.
- Follow approved protocols.
Individual Critical Care Endorsement
This may be obtained by completing a Provider Upgrade Application from an individual's E-Licensing account. After the Critical Care endorsement has been issued, the individual will then need to complete a Local Credential Agreement (LCA) for the service they wish to be affiliated. Only after both the Service and Medical Directors approve the LCA will the individual be added to the service roster.
Service Critical Care Endorsement
By January 1, 2013, every service providing Critical Care Paramedic Interfacility Transports will need to have an approved Operational Plan outlining that service's capabilities, policies, and protocols. To assist the service in obtaining this endorsement, the links below can be used to help guide the service in preparing the Operational Plan that will need to be submitted for approval:
- Critical Care Scope of Practice P-00451d (PDF, 80 KB)
- Paramedic Medication List (PDF, 82 KB)
- Critical Care Operational Plan Checklist F-00987e (Word, 132 KB)
- Operational Plan F-47463 (Word, 477 KB)
Wisconsin Administrative Rule 110.34(8) requires all ambulance responses to be uploaded or entered into WARDS.
For more information, contact our office by email at email@example.com or by phone at 608-266-0471.