Intermediate services providing 9-1-1 response in Wisconsin must:
- Be licensed as a Intermediate service
- Operate under an approved operational plan
- Operate under approved protocols
- Operate under the Wisconsin Scope of Practice for the Intermediate
- Operate with licensed/certified EMS personnel, credentialed with that service
Licensed Intermediate in Wisconsin must:
- Have completed an approved Intermediate course and subsequent refresher courses
- Initially be certified in PEPP/PALS
- Maintain current CPR for healthcare providers certification
- Maintain current ACLS
- Hold a current certificate from the State of Wisconsin (expires June 30 of even numbered years)
- If practicing, be credentialed with a licensed service
- Follow approved protocols.
Per Ch. 256, Wis. Stats., and Wisconsin Administrative Code DHS 110 (PDF, 228 KB), every group that operates as or advertises as providing Intermediate level service must submit an operational plan and obtain a license as a Intermediate Service. Additionally, all individuals operating as Intermediates with a 9-1-1 response service must be trained through a department (DHS) approved Intermediate program and obtain and maintain a state certificate.
Intermediate Service Licensure
If an Intermediate service is not a licensed provider submit an operational plan. Follow the links below for the needed documents:
Service Operational Plan F-47463 (Word, 465 KB)
Intermediate Operational Plan Checklist (Word, 132 KB)
Individual Intermediate Certification
Just like any other type of EMS licensure, an individual must obtain their initial Intermediate provider license within 24 months of successfully completing the Intermediate course. This must be completed from their E-Licensing account which can be accessed by clicking this E-Licensing link. After this has been obtained the Intermediate will need to complete a Local Credential Agreement (LCA) for the service they wish to be affiliated with. Only after both the Service and Medical Directors approve the LCA will the individual be added to the service's roster.
For specific requirements for all levels go to the Renewal/Retraining Requirements page.
Contact the Program Coordinator Charles.Happel@Wisconsin.gov for further information.
The 110.34(8) new Administrative Rule requires all ambulance responses to be uploaded or entered into WARDS.