Funding for Individuals to Correct Lead Hazards in Housing

Individual Household Funding Opportunities

Funds are available for individuals working towards reducing lead-based paint hazards through home renovation and repair. There are different grants for different groups of homeowners. Many focus on low and moderate-income homeowners or property owners with tenants with low to moderate-incomes. Some special groups have funding opportunities, such as veterans and rural residents.

Division of Housing - The U.S. Department of Administration, Division of Housing's Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) and HOME program have funding for housing rehabilitation including lead hazard repairs. Clients may contact the CDBG regional offices and/or the HOME recipients directly to apply for housing rehabilitation assistance.

HUD Lead Hazard Control Programs  
HUD funds programs that provide lead paint hazard reduction assistance to individual low- and moderate-income homeowners with children under the age of six and who occupy houses with lead-based paint and to property owners who have dwellings with lead-based paint that are occupied by low- and moderate-income tenants with children under age 6. The following communities currently have HUD programs:

City of Milwaukee, call the Lead Primary Prevention Program at 414-286-5937. 

Rock County, call the Rock County Housing and Community Development Division at 608-757-5594.

Kenosha/Racine, in the communities of Kenosha, call 262-605-6700, and Racine, call 262-636-9538.

City of Waukesha, call the Community Development and Planning Program, 262-524-3752.

Rural Housing Repair Programs for Single Family Residences and Multi-Family Residences - Opportunities for rural Americans in Wisconsin for home renovation and repair assistance.

Veterans' Home Improvement Loans - The Home Improvement Loan Program (HILP) may be used for repairs and remodeling of a veteran's primary residence.


Additional Resources

Last Revised: June 19, 2015