The Wisconsin Minority Health Program targets four diverse racial and ethnic minority populations: African American, Hispanic / Latino, Asian and American Indian. Together, these four groups make up an estimated 15% of Wisconsin's total population, and they are the referent populations in all data, programs, funding and initiatives of the Minority Health Program. Other minority groups we work with include Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender (LGBT); people with disabilities; and disparate rural communities. The target populations are subject to change based on emerging trends in health disparities and the stated population focus of the federal Department of Health and Human Services, Office of Minority Health, and other federal, national, state and local initiatives.
Wisconsin's Minority Populations, 2000 and 2010
(number and percentage of total population)*
|Number||Percent of total||Number||Percent of total|
*Note: Race groups are non-Hispanic. Hispanics may be of any race.
Source: 2000 Census Summary File 1; 2010 Census Redistricting File and Census Quick Facts.
2000 Wisconsin population = 5,363,708.
2010 Wisconsin population = 5,686,986.
Minority Health Reports
From this page you can find links to the Department's statistical reports on the health of minority populations in Wisconsin. These reports have been prepared as part of the Minority Health Program.
- Healthiest Wisconsin 2020 Baseline and Health Disparities Report (February 2014) - Baseline data by topic for the HW2020 focus areas, and documentation of health disparities in Wisconsin populations and communities.
- Minority Health HIV/AIDS Disparities Profiles (March 2016)-Fact sheets outlining HIV/AIDS impacts on Black Men and Women in Milwaukee (PDF, 505 KB) , Hispanic/Latino Men and Women in Milwaukee (PDF, 395 KB) , Spanish Version: Hispanic/Latino Men and Women in Milwaukee (PDF, 294 KB) , Females in Wisconsin (PDF, 198 KB) , Youth Aged 13-24 in Wisconsin (PDF, 186 KB) , and American Indians in Wisconsin (PDF, 271 KB) .
- Minority Health Report, 2001-2005 P-45716 (PDF, 897 KB). This report, released in January 2008, presents statistics on the health of African American, American Indian, Asian, and Hispanic/Latino populations in Wisconsin. Most of the data in this report are for the time period 2001-2005.
- Detailed source tables for 2001-2005. These tables have been removed from the website. If you are interested in data from these tables, please contact the Minority Health Program. These detailed tables provided the basis for many of the figures in the Minority Health Report linked above. They are updated versions of tables originally presented in The Health of Racial and Ethnic Populations in Wisconsin, 1996-2000 (see below).
- The Health of Racial and Ethnic Populations in Wisconsin, 1996-2000. This report has been removed from the website. If you are interested in data from this report, please contact the Minority Health Program. This report, released in 2004, presented comprehensive data on the health of African American, American Indian, Asian, and Hispanic/Latino populations in Wisconsin. Most of the data in this report represent the time period 1996-2000.