In DHS, the Minority Health Program provides a "home" for the two crosscutting focus areas of the state health plan, Healthiest Wisconsin 2020 (HW 2020): Health Disparities; and Social, Economic and Educational Factors that Influence Health. These two focus areas are called “crosscutting” because making improvements in these areas can affect all of the other health and infrastructure focus areas. (See HW2020 Executive Summary, p. 13.)
While continuing to help individuals and families take responsibility for their health, Healthiest Wisconsin 2020 focuses on how health choices are influenced by other factors, such as where we live, learn, work and play. These factors are sometimes referred to as the "social determinants of health." (See HW2020 Executive Summary, p. 4.)
According to the University of Wisconsin's Population Health Institute, Health of Wisconsin Report Card 2013, Wisconsin received a 'D' for its all-ages health disparity grade. The Department's most recent minority health report, Healthiest Wisconsin 2020 Baseline and Health Disparities Report, documents the disproportionate burden of poor health that persists among racial and ethnic minority populations in Wisconsin. Providing culturally and linguistically appropriate services to health care consumers has the potential to improve access to care, quality of care, and, ultimately, health outcomes.
Below you will find links to various resources that address the issues of cultural competency and language access.
- Wisconsin State Health Plan: Healthiest Wisconsin 2020
- National Partnership for Action to End Health Disparities (Federal Office of Minority Health)
- Healthy People 2020's interactive data tool, Data2020, allows users to explore the data and technical information related to the Healthy People 2020 objectives.
- Social Determinants Goals and Objectives (Healthy People 2020)
- Social Determinants Background (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention)
- Social Determinants Resources (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention)
Methods, Tools and Toolkits
- Data2020 (Healthy People 2020)
- Toolkits for Health Centers (University of California-Davis)
- Community Toolbox (University of Kansas)
- Caja de Herramientas Comunitarias (Universidad de Kansas)
Wisconsin Programs Addressing Social Determinants
If you have any comments about this page or suggestions for improving it, please write to: Ruth DeWeese.