Wisconsin Medicaid and BadgerCare Plus
Please Note: The following information is about non-emergency medical transportation. If you have a medical emergency you should call 911.
Non-emergency medical transportation is a public transportation and shared ride service. Rides can include public transportation (such as a city bus), rides in specialized medical vehicles, or rides in other types of vehicles depending on your medical and transportation needs. If public transportation is not available, you will not be required to take it.
Medical Transportation Management, Inc. (MTM, Inc.), Wisconsins Medicaid and BadgerCare Plus transportation manager. MTM, Inc. schedules and pays for rides to Medicaid and BadgerCare Plus covered health care services.
You may be able to get paid for meals and overnight stays
Wisconsin Medicaid and BadgerCare Plus have rules for when members can get payment for meals and overnight stays when you travel by non-emergency medical transportation to Wisconsin Medicaid and BadgerCare Plus covered services.
Members who are able to get rides through the states transportation manager, MTM, Inc. may be paid for meals and overnight stays.
You may be paid for:
- One meal if you are traveling at least 100 miles one-way to your appointment and you are away for at least four hours.
- Two meals if you are traveling at least 100 miles one way to your appointment and you are away for at least eight hours.
- Two meals and get one overnight stay if you are traveling at least 200 miles one-way to your appointment and you are away for at least eight hours.
If you are going to an appointment and need to be away from home for more than one night, contact MTM, Inc. at 1-866-907-1493 (voice) or 1-800-855-2880 (TTY) and ask about what meals you can get paid for and overnight stays you can get.
An approved medically required escort may get paid for the same meals and get the same overnight-stays that you are allowed.
MTM, Inc. will pay you for the amount you spent on your meal or up to $10 per meal, whichever is less. If you are unable to pay for your meals at the time of your appointment, let MTM, Inc. know when you schedule the ride.
MTM, Inc. will not pay for any alcohol or recreational activities.
If you can get an overnight stay, MTM, Inc. will arrange and pay for the overnight stay for you.
For more information
Information provided is general. For more information about Scheduling Rides, Meals and Lodging, Complaints, New Rules, Denied Transportation or Fair Hearings:
- Contact MTM, Inc. at www.mtm-inc.net/wisconsin or 1-866-907-1493 (voice)
- See your ForwardHealth Enrollment and Benefits handbook (the handbook is also online at dhs.wi.gov/em/customerhelp)
- See your Member Update at dhs.wi.gov/em/customerhelp
- Call Member Services at 1-800-362-3002