Department Requests Proposals For Statewide Medicaid and BadgerCare Plus Non-Emergency Medical Transportation Manager
MADISON-The Department of Health Services today released a request for proposals (RFP) for a statewide Medicaid and BadgerCare Plus Non-Emergency Medical Transportation (NEMT) manager. The proposals are due Monday, February 21, 2013 at 3:00 p.m.
"One of the Department's top priorities is to secure a transportation manager who will be able to assist Medicaid and BadgerCare Plus members to get to their covered medical services if they have no other way to get there," said Secretary Dennis G. Smith. "By releasing this RFP, the Department has the unique opportunity to not only secure one statewide NEMT manager, but also to incorporate feedback and suggestions we received over the past year from legislators, the public and members who receive transportation through the NEMT manager."
Changes to the RFP made based on feedback and suggestions include:
- A requirement that members and providers are able to create reservations online;
- A requirement that members have the ability to submit complaints online;
- A clarification and implementation of member appeals and fair hearing process; and
- Establish liquidated damages for issues such as:
- Failure to provide transportation;
- Transportation providers arriving late;
- Transportation providers use of vehicles that do not meet established vehicle standards;
- Transportation providers failure to transport members to dialysis and cancer treatments and getting members there on time; and
- Ensure call hold times are in compliance.
"It is also important for BadgerCare Plus and Medicaid members who schedule rides to covered services through the current NEMT manager, LogistiCare, to know that there are no changes right now for them and they should continue scheduling rides through LogistiCare," said Secretary Smith. "Members will be notified if any changes are made."
The Department is pursuing a statewide contract for a transportation manager to better coordinate these services and arrange for the most appropriate means of transportation for each member. These can include local transportation providers and common carriers such as buses and taxis.
Through this RFP, the Department plans to:
- Ensure that all Wisconsin Medicaid and BadgerCare Plus members have reasonable and timely access to transportation to covered services;
- Ensure that Medicaid and BadgerCare Plus members use the most appropriate and economical mode of transportation;
- Eliminate fraud and abuse in Medicaid and BadgerCare Plus transportation;
- Increase efficiency within the Medicaid and BadgerCare Plus non-emergency medical transportation program; and,
- Collect and report transportation data.
The RFP can be found at dhs.wisconsin.gov/initiatives/transportation/procurement.htm
For information about non-emergency medical transportation go to: dhs.wisconsin.gov/badgercareplus/NEMT/index.htm