About Abstract Plus
Abstract Plus summarizes medical records into an electronic report of cancer diagnosis and treatment. It supports the abstraction of all data items in national standard data sets, including all text fields, as well as any state-specific data items. Its output is an electronic abstract in the format of the North American Association of Central Cancer Registries (NAACCR) data exchange layout.
What’s New in Abstract Plus 4.0
Abstract Plus 4.0 is similar to previous versions in terms of general functionality and display. It differs from previous versions in that it includes data items introduced with NAACCR V21, and supports the V21 format. It also supports the latest Wisconsin Metafile. This means that cases diagnosed in 2021 can be abstracted. Abstraction of diagnosis years prior to 2021 are also supported in 4.0.
Facilities using Abstract Plus 3.8 (126.96.36.199) are eligible to upgrade to 4.0 and should do so as soon as possible. In addition, users that are installing Abstract Plus for the first time, meaning Abstract Plus is not currently installed on the computer, should install 4.0. Users with an Abstract Plus version other than 188.8.131.52 installed should contact Jenna Deniaud for instructions.
Abstract Plus User Manual
All Abstract Plus users should download and read the Abstract Plus User Manual. In addition, abstractors should refer to all required coding manuals, coding resources, and reporting requirements when abstracting.
Installation and Upgrade Instructions
Users can obtain Abstract Plus 4.0 in one of two ways: Installation (Clean install/install from scratch) and Upgrade (Upgrade Tool). The first step in deciding which method to use is to determine if you have Abstract Plus installed, and if you do, determine what version it is. Tip: Version number can be found in the thumbnail on the login screen. Follow the appropriate instructions according to your situation described below.
If you do not have Abstract Plus installed, follow these instructions for installing Abstract Plus 4.0 from scratch.
Attention: Do not use these instructions if Abstract Plus is currently installed, and do not uninstall Abstract Plus for the purpose of using this option. If Abstract Plus is installed, you should follow instructions for updating, not a fresh install. Updating preserves data in Abstract Plus, whereas uninstalling and installing from scratch can cause loss of data that may be impossible to fully recover.
- Before downloading setup files, be sure to view instructions for installation and first-time setup of Abstract Plus. Note: Most facilities chose to install Abstract Plus locally, but for those that wish to install on Windows Server for use with virtual environments and similar technologies, please refer to the instructions.
- After reviewing instructions, navigate to the Wisconsin section of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's (CDC) Abstract Plus webpage, and click the link to download the Abstract Plus Setup File. Note: There are links for generic versions and other state-specific versions on the webpage–you should not download those. Only download the Wisconsin-specific customization.
- Follow instructions for installation and first-time setup. If you encounter any issues along the way, or would like assistance with installation and first-time setup, please contact Jenna Deniaud. If you do not have much experience with Abstract Plus, it is highly recommended that you take advantage of this assistance.
If you have Abstract Plus 3.8 (184.108.40.206) installed, follow these instructions for upgrading to Abstract Plus 4.0
Attention: Before upgrading, it is imperative that you complete and submit all in-process cases to WCRS. Failure to do so will result in numerous errors and possible data corruption which may result in you needing to re-abstract some or all of the cases that had not previously been completed and submitted to WCRS.
- Complete all in-process Abstract Plus abstracts and submit them to WCRS. Ensure there are no incomplete cases left in Abstract Plus.
- After confirming all cases in Abstract Plus are complete and have been submitted to WCRS, view instructions for installation and upgrade. Note: The instruction page header says “Abstract Plus 3.8” but the instructions remain the same for 4.0.
- After reviewing instructions, navigate to the Wisconsin section of the CDC Abstract Plus Webpage, and click the link to download the Abstract Plus Updater Tool. Note: There are links for generic versions and other state-specific versions on the webpage—you should not download those. Only download the Wisconsin-specific customization.
- After downloading the Abstract Plus Updater tool, follow instructions for installation and upgrade. If you encounter any issues along the way, or would like assistance with installation and upgrade, please contact Jenna Deniaud. If you do not have much experience updating, it is highly recommended you take advantage of this assistance.