Department of Health Services Logo

 

Wisconsin Department of Health Services

Trauma Home

Statewide Meetings

Regional
Meetings

WI Trauma Registry

Contact

Wisconsin Trauma Care System 

Hospital Trauma Classification Process

The hospital designation/classification as a Trauma Care Facility in Wisconsin. 

Wisconsin has 124 of 126 potential hospitals participating in the trauma system, with 9% of them being ACS verified Level I or II and the remaining 91% being a Level III or IV trauma care facility designated by the state as a part of their voluntary participation in the state trauma system. For information on which hospitals are designated as what, view the Trauma Care System Hospital Map

Participation in Wisconsin's Trauma system is voluntary in nature. 

The state has focused efforts on strengthening communications to maintain relationships and interest in the system at the state level, and on increased visibility at the regional level. At times, key constituents such as the EMS Medical Directors, emergency room physicians and trauma surgeons find it difficult to participate due to heavy workloads and competing priorities.

Wisconsin's integrated system of trauma care requires the identification of hospitals as trauma care facilities by using the Level I, II, III, IV or "unclassified" structure.  This inclusive system recognizes that all hospitals in Wisconsin (and neighboring states) have an important role in providing optimal treatment to the injured patient. It is imperative that patients are delivered in a timely manner to the closest appropriate hospital matching resources to the needs of the severely injured patient. 

The following defines each level for Trauma Care Facilities:  

Level I:
Hospital characterized by capability to provide leadership and total care for every aspect of traumatic injury from prevention through rehabilitation, including research.  
Level II:
Hospital provides the initial definitive trauma care regardless of the severity of injury, but differs from Level I in teaching and research capability.  
Level III:
Hospital provides assessment, resuscitation, stabilization, and emergency surgery and arranges transfer to a level I or II facility for definitive surgical and intensive care as necessary.  
Level IV:
Facility provides stabilization and advanced trauma life support prior to patient transfer to a Level I or II.  
Unclassified:
Hospital that has chosen not to be part of the Trauma Care System or has not been approved as a Level I, II, III or IV.  

Related Information:

PDF: The free Adobe Reader software is needed to view or print portable document format (PDF) files.  Learn more.

 

Return to Home page

Last Revised: November 27, 2013