Dot gov

Official websites use .gov
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.


Secure .gov websites use HTTPS
A lock () or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Adult Protective Services

Adult protective services help elder adults and adults at risk who have been abused, neglected, or financially exploited.

If you suspect an elder adult or adult at risk has experienced, is currently experiencing, or is at risk of experiencing abuse, neglect, self-neglect, or financial exploitation, your first step should be to contact the appropriate agency.

To report abuse of an adult at risk
(age 18 to 59)
call your county helpline.

To report abuse in a nursing home
or other long-term care facility,
contact the Division of Quality Assurance.

To report abuse of an elder adult at risk 
(age 60 plus)
call your county helpline or the Elder Abuse Hotline at 833-586-0107.

To report abuse outside of Wisconsin,
contact the National Adult Protective Services Association.

Abuse, Neglect, and Exploitation: What to Look For, P-01550

What are adult protective services?

Adult protective services are any services that stop an individual from inflicting harm on themself or another person. View definitions of key terms to help you better understand adult protective services and adults at risk.

Who should I contact?

If someone is in immediate, life-threatening danger, call the police or 911 right away.

Wisconsin also has agencies and elder agencies in every county that you can contact for help.

To report abuse taking place outside of Wisconsin, contact the National Adult Protective Services Association.

If the alleged abuser is a paid caregiver who works in a long-term care facility, contact:

Department of Health Services
Office of Caregiver Quality
Phone: 608-261-8319

What will I be asked?

When you call to report alleged abuse, you will be asked to give as much information as possible. This includes information about the elder adult or adult at risk and what you think is happening. This information is helpful, but you are not required to know it. You can also give your name and address, but that is not required either.

What happens when someone makes a report?

After you contact your county agency or elder agency, a caseworker will review the report. They will decide what response is needed.

For more help

Get more information on resources for abuse, neglect, and exploitation of elder adults and adults at risk.

Last revised April 13, 2023