This website provides instructions on how to submit plan reviews to the Department of Health Services (DHS), Division of Quality Assurance (DQA) for the construction and remodeling of:
- Nursing homes
- Facilities serving people with Developmental Disabilities (FDD)
- Community based residential facilities (CBRF)
- Adult Family Homes (AFH)
- Residential Care Apartment Complexes (RCAC)
- Hospice inpatient facilities
- Business occupancies physically attached to a hospital, nursing home, CBRF, or hospice inpatient facility
- Ambulatory Surgical Centers/End Stage Renal Dialysis Facilities (Courtesy Review)
The authority for DHS plan review specifically relates to the building, heating ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) systems, and fire protection system construction projects for the above listed health care facilities.
"Preliminary" reviews are for hospital and nursing home projects to promote compliance with the appropriate codes, familiarize the design team with Wisconsin inspection processes, and establish communication links. As part of the process, it is highly recommended that an initial contact meeting be established with all stakeholders. Regulations requiring this "preliminary" review for hospitals can be located at DHS 124.29(1) Adm. code, and for nursing homes at DHS 132.84(17)(a) Adm. code.
DHS grants “permissions to start” for footings and foundations. The permission to start form, additional fee payment, completed application and construction/remodeling plan must all be submitted in order to grant this permission.
NOTE: Unique systems not reviewed by DHS for the providers listed above include plumbing systems, private onsite waste treatment, elevators, boilers, and mechanical refrigeration systems. These systems are under the jurisdiction of the Department of Safety and Professional Services for review. Information regarding their plan submittal process is available at: http://dsps.wi.gov/Plan-Review
Follow these links, in the order listed, to begin the plan review process:
- Rules, Regulations & Guidelines
- Forms (applications, permit to start, fee calculator)
- Business Flow Charts (Authority Having Jurisdiction)
- DQA Plan Intake Staff and Inspectors (names and contact information)
- Construction Inspections (Compliance Statement & Inspection Checklists)
- Code Interpretations
- Informational Memorandums (Centers for Medicare/Medicaid, DQA)
- DQA Plan Application Status Report (Status of DQA Review)
PDF: The free Acrobat Reader® software is needed to view and print portable document format (PDF) files. Learn more.