This website provides instructions on how to submit plan reviews to the Department of Health Services (DHS), Division of Quality Assurance (DQA), Office of Plan Review and Inspection (OPRI) for the construction and remodeling of:
- Nursing homes
- Facilities serving people with Developmental Disabilities (FDD)
- Community based residential facilities (CBRF)
- Hospice inpatient facilities
- Other occupancies physically attached to a hospital, nursing home, CBRF, or hospice inpatient facility
The authority for DHS plan review specifically relates to the building, heating ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) systems, and fire protection system construction projects for the above listed health care facilities.
Initial contact meetings for all health care projects are structured to promote compliance with the appropriate codes, familiarize the design team with Wisconsin inspection processes, and establish communication links. As part of the process, it is highly recommended that an initial contact meeting be established with all stakeholders early in the early planning states of any health care project.
DHS grants “permissions to start” for footings and foundations. The permission to start form, additional fee payment, completed application and construction/remodeling plan must all be submitted in order to grant this permission.
NOTE: Unique systems not reviewed by DHS for the providers listed above include plumbing systems, private onsite waste treatment, elevators, boilers, and mechanical refrigeration systems. These systems are under the jurisdiction of the Department of Safety and Professional Services for review. Information regarding their plan submittal process is available at: http://dsps.wi.gov/Plan-Review
Follow these links, in the order listed, to begin the plan review process:
- Rules, Regulations & Memorandums
- Forms and Checklists
- Memorandum of Agreement Diagram (PDF, 15 KB)
- OPRI Plan Intake Staff and Inspectors (names and contact information)
- Plan Review Intake Status Report (Status of OPRI Review)