Dot gov

Official websites use .gov
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.


Secure .gov websites use HTTPS
A lock () or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Medicaid Purchase Plan

The Medicaid Purchase Plan (MAPP) provides health care coverage for people with a disability who are:

  • 18 or older.
  • Are working or interested in working.

MAPP provides the same health benefits as Medicaid. With MAPP, you can also save money without it counting toward the program’s asset limit ($15,000). You do this through an independence account, which is a financial account set up through a bank or credit union.

Watch our video to hear David’s story. David’s experience shows how MAPP helps people with disabilities live independent lives.

Print the MAPP fact sheet, P-10071

To be eligible for MAPP, you must:

  • Be at least 18.
  • Live in Wisconsin.
  • Have a disability.
  • Have a job or be enrolled in the Health and Employment Counseling Program.
  • Not have more than $15,000 in countable assets.
    • Countable assets include:
      • Cash
      • Checking and savings accounts
      • Certificate of deposits
      • Stocks and bonds
      • Some life insurance policies
      • Some annuities
      • Some burial assets
    • Countable assets don’t include:
    • Your home o Your car
    • Achieving a Better Life Experience (ABLE) accounts
  • Have a family income of less than 250% of the federal poverty level, based on your family size.

You may have to pay a premium based on your income. A premium is the amount you pay each month for health care coverage.

Independence accounts are financial accounts set up through a bank or credit union that you own. Through the account, you can save money above the MAPP asset limit ($15,000) without affecting your MAPP eligibility.

You must register a new independence account. To do this, complete the MAPP Independence Account Registration form, F-10121 (PDF) and return it to your local county or tribal agency.

If you have an existing retirement or pension account, you can use it as an independence account. You must register it as a new independence account with your local county or tribal agency. The balance you have when you register it may be a countable asset.


If you or your spouse can get health insurance that costs less than Medicaid through your employers, MAPP may help pay for that insurance. You may have to pay a premium to enroll in MAPP.


Last revised March 13, 2023