The purpose of Wisconsin's statewide trauma care system is to reduce death and disability resulting from traumatic injury by providing optimal care of trauma patients and their families, and collecting and analyzing trauma-related data (DHS 118.01).
Wisconsin has 124 of 126 potential hospitals participating in its trauma care classification system, with 9% of them being ACS verified Level I or II and the remaining 91% being a Level III or IV trauma care facility designated by the state as a part of their voluntary participation in the state trauma system.
For a summary glance at Wisconsin Trauma data, the Wisconsin Trauma at a Glance Newsletter, P-01564 (PDF, 387 KB) provides data for 2015-2016 on total numbers, injury types, injury severity, and cases by age and gender.
For current Statewide Trauma Advisory Council (STAC) meeting information, view the new STAC pages.
Upcoming STAC meeting dates:
- June 7, 2017
- September 6, 2017
- December 6, 2017
Information on this page has been organized into two categories. Please choose one of the following tabs.
Trauma Care Registry Database
- Wisconsin State Trauma Registry Data Dictionary, P-01280 (PDF, 2.4 MB)
Visit our Trauma Care Registry webpage for more information.
Contacts and Resources
Wisconsin's trauma care system is supported through program planning efforts that include:
Other trauma care system resources:
- NEW - Wisconsin Injury Prevention Survey Report, P-01763 (PDF)
- Wisconsin Trauma at a Glance Summary for 2015-2016, P-01564 (PDF, 387 KB)
- Education and Training for Health Care Providers
- Hospital Trauma Classification Process
- Implementation of Triage Protocols
- Wisconsin State Trauma Program ATLS Requirements - FAQs, P-00547 (PDF, 284 KB)
Wisconsin's trauma system is closely aligned with the efforts and activities in the Emergency Medical Services (EMS) Program, Emergency Medical Services for Children (EMSC) Program and Health Preparedness.
The implementation and development of Wisconsin's trauma care system is a result of several important pieces of legislation including: