We are committed to protecting the health and safety of our members during the COVID-19 pandemic. To stay informed about the latest program updates, limitations to in-person contacts, general COVID-19 resources, and more, please go to the COVID-19: ForwardHealth Program Updates webpage.
Information for managed care organizations, IRIS stakeholders, and adult long-term care providers is available on the COVID-19: ForwardHealth News and Resources webpage.
Family Care is a long-term care program that helps frail elders and adults with disabilities get the services they need to remain in their homes. This comprehensive and flexible program offers services to foster independence and quality of life for members while recognizing the need for interdependence and support.
Family Care, which is a national model in long-term care, was created in 1999. It was part of an effort to redesign Wisconsin’s long-term care system.
Beginning in 2000, Family Care was introduced in Fond du Lac, La Crosse, Milwaukee, Portage, and Richland counties. The success of Family Care in those counties led to Family Care being expanded to more counties in 2007. By the end of 2010, Family Care was serving more than 30,000 members in 56 counties.
Because research showed that Family Care cost less than other programs while continuing to provide quality care, Governor Walker and the Legislature passed legislation in 2015 to expand Family Care to the entire state and end the wait list. Today, Family Care is available in all counties in Wisconsin. The last county adopted Family Care on July 1, 2018.
- Choice: Give people better choices about the services and supports available to meet their needs.
- Access: Improve people's access to services.
- Quality: Improve the overall quality of the long-term care system by focusing on achieving people's health and social outcomes.
- Cost effectiveness: Create a cost-effective long-term care system for the future.
- What's New
- Program Monitoring and Evaluation
- Program Operations
- State and Federal Requirements
- Family Care Partnership Program
- PACE (Program of All-Inclusive Care for the Elderly)
- Other Links
If you cannot find the answer to your question, send us an email or call our main office at 608-267-7286.