Electronic Visit Verification Requirement
In response to the federal 21st Century Cures Act, the Wisconsin Department of Health Services (DHS) is required to implement electronic visit verification (EVV) for Medicaid-covered personal care services by our extended deadline of January 1, 2021, and home health services by January 1, 2023.
Who does this requirement affect?
This requirement affects all personal care and home health services, including services provided through:
- Medicaid and BadgerCare Plus fee-for-service (ForwardHealth card)
- BadgerCare Plus and Medicaid SSI HMOs
- Family Care and Family Care Partnership
- IRIS (Include, Respect, I Self-Direct)
What is EVV?
EVV is an electronic system that uses technologies to verify that authorized services were provided. Home care workers will be required to send information at the beginning and end of each visit to an EVV system, including:
- Who receives the service
- Who provides the service
- What service is provided
- Where service is provided
- Date of service
- Time in/time out
What is Wisconsin’s commitment?
DHS will work to:
- Maintain services provided, including community integration.
- Support provider selection.
- Keep an individual’s choice of a worker.
- Ensure needed care is delivered.
- Ensure data is secure and compliant with the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA).
Join us today from 1:30–3 p.m. for a forum where we will share information and get feedback on our approach to the federally-mandated EVV requirements.
Best Western Premier Bridgewood Resort Hotel & Conference Center, 1000 Cameron Way, Neenah, WI
DHS would like to hear from stakeholders regarding the implementation of EVV.
The input from stakeholders is essential to the planning process for this new requirement and will be used by DHS to make decisions in implementation planning and assist in determining the best way to be compliant with the federal requirement.
Please download and share our EVV handout.
It is available in four languages, provides a broad overview of EVV, and includes our continued commitment to quality services.
Pursuant to Section 12006(a) of the 21st Century Cures Act, which mandates that states implement EVV for all Medicaid personal care service that require an in-home visit by a provider.