Preadmission Screening and Resident Review (PASRR) is a federal requirement established in 1987 to identify individuals with mental illness and/or intellectual developmental disability to ensure appropriate placement in the community or a nursing facility.
In brief, PASRR requires all applicants to Medicaid-certified nursing facilities be assessed to determine whether they might have an intellectual disability or mental illness. This is called a Level I screen. The purpose of a Level I screen is to identify individuals whose total needs require that they receive additional services for their intellectual disabilities or serious mental illness. Individuals who test positive at Level I are then evaluated in depth to confirm the determination of an intellectual disability or mental illness for PASRR purposes. This is a Level II screen. This assessment produces a set of recommendations for necessary services that are meant to inform the individual's plan of care.
PASRR Level II screen referral process
- Step 1: Complete the PASRR submission form for all referrals for PASSR Level II screens. (PDF)
- Step 2: Use one of the options listed below to submit the referral.
OPTION 1: Fax
Use the new fax cover sheet (PDF). This fax cover sheet was updated December 5, 2019. Include the new fax cover sheet as the first page of each referral you submit. Your facility's fax cover sheet should immediately follow it.
When completing the MAXIMUS fax cover sheet, fill in your name and your facility's fax number. Include your name and the individual's name on your facility's fax sheet.
Fax submissions to 877-431-9568. Use new fax cover sheets for every referral.
OPTION 2: Mail
Send a separate envelope for each referral. Do not place multiple referrals in one envelope.
Attention: Wisconsin PASRR Program
840 Crescent Centre Drive, Suite 400
Franklin, TN 37067
The Wisconsin PASRR Program HelpDesk at MAXIMUS is available to answer your questions.
- Email: WIPASRR@maximus.com
- Call: 877-431-1388 or 833-657-2777
Department of Health Services PASRR Email Mailbox
Send questions or concerns regarding PASRR to DHSDCTSPASRR@dhs.wisconsin.gov. Provide information about the challenge you are experiencing and who should be contacted if a response is necessary. Identify any health or safety risks involved in the situation.
On November 30, 1992, the federal Health Care Financing Administration (HCFA), now the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS), published final rules to implement Preadmission Screening and Annual Resident Review (PASRR) requirements for all current and prospective nursing facility residents. The regulations are published at 42 CFR Parts 405, 431, 433, and 483.
PASRR requirements apply only to Medicaid-certified nursing facilities, and do not apply to Medicare-only skilled nursing facilities (SNFs), intermediate care facilities for individuals with intellectual disabilities (ICFs/IID), or community-based residential facilities (CBRFs).
Purposes of PASRR
- Evaluate individuals seeking admission to nursing facilities and current nursing facility residents to determine if they have a serious mental illness or a intellectual disability.
- Identify the individual’s strengths and needs.
- Determine if the individual needs specialized psychiatric rehabilitation services to address his/her mental illness issues or specialized services to address his/her mental illness or intellectual disability issues.
- Determine if the individual needs placement in a nursing facility versus placement in an inpatient psychiatric hospital, institution for mental diseases (IMD), intermediate care facility for individuals with intellectual disabilities (ICFs/IID), or a community setting (e.g., group home).
- Notify the client or the client’s legal representative and other appropriate parties of the results of the evaluations and the determinations.