Substance use prevention activities focus on changing the way people think, feel, and act with regard to alcohol and other drugs. The goal is to build healthy communities by reducing harmful substance use or substance use that affects a person's overall well-being.
Substance use always comes with the risk that it might lead to addiction. Learn more about substance use disorders.
Resilient Wisconsin is a statewide initiative to improve the conditions in which people work, live, and grow through trauma-informed resources, tools, and education in order to prevent and reduce substance use. Go to Resilient Wisconsin to learn more.
Resources to prevent harmful substance use
- Alcohol and Public Health: Frequently Asked Questions
- Alcohol Overdose: The Dangers of Drinking Too Much
- Alcohol Spending Calculator
- Alcohol Use in Older People
- Cocktail Content Calculator
- Drink Size Calculator
- Drinking Levels Defined
- Rethinking Drinking
- Using Alcohol to Relieve Your Pain: What Are the Risks?
- The Burden of Binge Drinking in Wisconsin (PDF)
- Implementing Community-Level Policies to Prevent Alcohol Misuse (PDF)
- Community Engagement: An Essential Component of an Effective and Equitable Substance Use Prevention System (PDF)
- Principles of Substance Abuse Prevention for Early Childhood
- Substance Misuse Prevention for Young Adults (PDF)
- Alliance for Wisconsin Youth
- Wisconsin Alcohol Policy Project
- Community Anti-Drug Coalitions of America
- Rural Community Toolbox
Real Talks Wisconsin: Change the conversation on substance use
Connecting people through meaningful conversations is one way we can reduce and prevent substance use in Wisconsin. Real Talks Wisconsin gives you the information and tools you need to have frequent conversations about substance use. Real talks are based on asking open-ended questions, having empathy, and helping to problem solve. They are the foundation of individual and community health and well-being. Visit realtalkswi.org for more information.
Prevent opioid harm. It starts with real talks.
Dose of Reality is an initiative to reduce the harmful impacts of opioid use. Help save lives throughout the state: join us in having real talks about opioids—open and honest conversations about the dangers of opioids and ways to save lives. Visit doseofrealitywi.gov for more information.
Meth: Let's not live in an altered state
In Wisconsin, we have many time-honored traditions. Unfortunately, methamphetamine use is severely altering who we are and what we stand for. Let's restore things to the way they should be. Learn more about the dangers of methamphetamine, and what you can do to help prevent it use.
Prevent underage drinking: Have small talks
Small Talks is a campaign to reduce the number of kids who drink alcohol before the age of 21. This statewide effort encourages adults, especially parents and caregivers, to have frequent, short, casual conversations with kids starting at age eight on the dangers of underage drinking. Visit SmallTalksWI.org for more information.
Meet the next generation of addictive tobacco products
Tobacco companies are developing new products and tricky tactics so fast, it’s tough for parents to recognize tobacco when they see it, and even tougher to talk to your kids about the terrible damage tobacco products can do. Visit TobaccoIsChanging.org for more information.