GEARS (formerly CARS) is the system we use for processing contracts and reimbursing expenses for local agencies. This system calculates about 600 payments for nearly 300 different contracts each month. To modernize our fiscal payment system, we replaced CARS with GEARS. GEARS is short for Grant Enrollment, Application and Reporting System.
We are here to help make this transition as smooth as possible. This webpage will be your go-to resource for updates, tips, and more as we make the transition from CARS to GEARS.
We are updating information on a regular basis. Take a look at the CARS/GEARS Manual to see the latest.
The GEARS system calculates about 600 non-county aid checks and grant-in-aid payments for over 280 state/county, state/tribe contracts each month. The system includes human services (HS), county departments of social services (DSS) and 51 Board contracts, state agencies, municipalities, non-municipalities and Income Maintenance (IM), and tribal contracts. The system records all expenditures from the county and non-county providers. It calculates amounts due and adjustments back to the State. It also generates reports for providers, counties, and tribes under contract with the State.
More about what to expect with GEARS
- What to expect with the changes
- Find A Profile in GEARS: All profiles are now in one place
We've consolidated all our profiles into one spreadsheet. This spreadsheet will be updated whenever we have new information to share.
- Expenditure Reporting and link to form
- GEARS Agency Type Codes: These will now have two digits. The digits will not change from year to year. This new page will be your guide to the codes and what they mean.
- Tribal Fiscal Contracts
- State and County Contract
- 2023 Listing of CARS/GEARS Profile Close Out Dates
- 2022 Listing of CARS/GEARS Profile Close Out Dates
- 2021 Listing of CARS Profile Close Out Dates
Funding Information for DHS Programs/Alternate Listing Number (ALN) Report
If you have any questions or need additional funding information, please contact the Bureau of Fiscal Services, GEARS Unit.