Delivering actionable solutions to help Wisconsin become an equitable place to live for all people
On March 19, 2019, Governor Tony Evers issued Executive Order #17, establishing the Governor's Health Equity Council.
The purpose of the council is to address the various factors that exacerbate health disparities by creating a comprehensive plan to achieve long-lasting and equitable health outcomes for all Wisconsinites. The plan will address health disparities based on race, economic status, education level, history of incarceration, and geographic location.
Next meeting of the Council
March 17, 2021, 1–4 p.m. (via Zoom)
Serving on the Health Equity Council are:
- Lt. Gov. Mandela Barnes
- DHS Interim Secretary Karen Timberlake
- Council Designee: Dr. Michelle Robinson – Research, Evaluation, & Program Integrity Advisor, Department of Children and Families
- Council Chair: Gina Green-Harris – Director of Center for Community Engagement and Health Partnerships, UW School of Medicine and Public Health
- Maria Barker – Director of Latinx Programs and Initiatives, Planned Parenthood of Wisconsin
- Micaela Berry-Smith – Executive Director, Harambee Village
- Shiva Bidar-Sielaff – Vice President and Chief Diversity Officer, UW Health
- Sandra Brekke – Senior Consultant, Office of Population Health, Gundersen Health System
- Stacy Clark – Intersectionality Among Men Program Coordinator, Diverse & Resilient
- Dr. Amy DeLong – Family Physician and Medical Director, Ho-Chunk Nation
- Diane Erickson – Clinic Administrator, Red Cliff Community Health Center
- Sarah Ferber – Associate Director, Ex-Incarcerated People Organizing
- Cristy Garcia-Thomas – Chief External Affairs Officer Advocate Aurora Health
- Joya Headley – Public Health Student, University of Wisconsin-Madison
- Janel Hines – Senior Director of Grant Programs and Strategic Initiatives, Greater Milwaukee Foundation
- Paula Tran Inzeo – Group Director, UW Population Health Institute, Mobilizing Action Toward Community Health
- Dr. Tito Izard – President and CEO, Milwaukee Health Services, Inc.
- Gale Johnson – Director of Wisconsin Well Woman Program, Department of Health Services
- Patricia Metropulos, President and CEO, Kathy's House
- Julie Mitchell, Commercial Medical Director, Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield of Wisconsin
- Isaak Mohamed – Somali Liaison and Community Health Worker, Barron County
- Wanda Montgomery – Public Member
- Tia Murray – Owner, Co-Founder, and President, Harambee Village
- Lilliann Paine – Chief of Staff, Milwaukee City Health Department
- William Parke-Sutherland – Health Policy Engagement Coordinator, Kids Forward
- Lisa Peyton-Caire – Founder and President, The Foundation for Black Women's Wellness
- Guy (Anahkwet) Reiter – Executive Director, Menikanaehkem, Inc.
- Cristal Tinajero Rodríguez – Student, Milwaukee Area Technical College
- Ellen Sexton – Senior Vice President, Head of Specialty Business, Humana
- Mary Thao –Marshfield Clinic
- Elizabeth Valitchka – Strategic Advisor, Department of Children and Families
- Jerry Waukau – Tribal Health Director, Menominee Nation
- Andrea Werner – Senior Vice President, Bellin Health Hospital Center
- Dr. Jasmine Zapata – Assistant Professor, UW School of Medicine and Public Health
Council Background Materials
University of Wisconsin Population Health Institute 2016 Health of Wisconsin Report Card – the state of Wisconsin has an overall health disparities grade of "D." The Report Card also notes that while Wisconsin's grade for overall health has remained the same since 2007, the health disparities grade has gotten worse since 2010, moving from a C- to a D in 2013 and 2016.
Sign up to receive updates, reports, and event notices.