Under § DHS 83.15(1)(c), an individual with a bachelor's degree in a non-health related field from an accredited college may qualify as an administrator if that individual has successfully completed a department-approved assisted living administrator's training course.
Additionally, under § DHS 83.15(1)(d), an individual with at least two years experience working in a health care related field having direct contact with the client groups identified under DHS 83.02(16) may also qualify, if that individual has completed the aforementioned administrator's training course.
The Department of Health Services (DHS) has developed criteria that will be utilized in the review and approval process. Approved courses will be at least 60 hours in length, and cover the following six core competencies:
- Leadership and management skills
- Resident care and services
- Resident rights, advocacy, and legal issues
- Physical environment and life safety
- Human resources management
- Financial management.
Refer to the following resources for additional information:
- Assisted Living Administrator's Course Curriculum Criteria, P-00134 (PDF)
- Application For Training Curriculum, F-00158
- Trainer Requirements, P-00133 (PDF)
- Trainer Approval Application, F-00157
Assisted living approved administrator's training courses
Course Approval Number: 001
WALA - Wisconsin Assisted Living Association
PO Box 7730
Madison, WI 53707
Course Name: WALA 83.15 Administrator Course
For questions on the application process or curriculum, please email University of Wisconsin Oshkosh’s Center for Community Development, Engagement and Training (CCDET) at email@example.com.