Description of 2013 Wisconsin Act 37
2013 Wisconsin Act 37 establishes new requirements that must be met prior to the performance of any abortion, with limited exceptions, requires an ultrasound before informed consent for an abortion, and provides penalties for violating these provisions.
The providers listed on this web page have attested to being able to meet the following Wisconsin Act 37 criteria for the provision of ultrasounds at no cost to a woman prior to an abortion:
- Perform an obstetric ultrasound using the transducer of woman's choice (transvaginal or transabdominal), after available options are explained
- Provide an oral explanation during the ultrasound of what it is depicting, including the presence and location of the unborn child within the uterus, the number of unborn children, and the occurrence of the death of an unborn child, if such a death has occurred
- Display of ultrasound images for the woman to view if requested
- Provide a medical description of the ultrasound images, including the dimensions of the fetus and a description of any external features and internal organs present and viewable on the image
- Provide the means to visualize a fetal heartbeat, if a heartbeat was detectable by the ultrasound type chosen, and provide, in a manner understandable to a layperson, a simultaneous oral explanation, if requested by the woman
- Ultrasound will be done at no cost to the woman
Healthcare Provider Resources
Providers for No-Cost Ultrasound (PDF, 18 KB) - Updated September 2016
Changes to "Providers for No Cost Ultrasound" List
To add to this list, or to update an existing listing, please contact Teresa Halverson, Public Health Hotlines, at 608-775-6336, email email@example.com or Karen Brandt, Database Coordinator, Public Health Hotlines, at 608-775-6331, email firstname.lastname@example.org.