The Conditional Release Program provides community supervision and supports to people living with a mental illness who have committed a crime. It is a national leader in the community supervision and support of people found not guilty by reason of mental disease or defect. The majority of clients on conditional release in Wisconsin committed a felony crime.
Court-ordered community placement
Conditional Release Program clients are committed to the Department of Health Services. The committing court determines placement. Options include one of the mental health institutes managed by the Department of Health Services or directly into the community. Individuals placed at Mendota Mental Health Institute and Winnebago Mental Health Institute can petition for conditional release every six months.
The standard for conditional release in Wisconsin is dangerousness. That is, the court will deny conditional release if it finds clear and convincing evidence that the person would pose a significant risk of bodily harm to himself or herself or to others or of serious property damage if conditionally released.
A team of case managers provide services across all Wisconsin counties. These case managers assist clients in becoming successful and productive while keeping communities safe. Clients who violate the terms of their conditional release may be revoked.
Information for victims
Victims who wish to register in the victim notification system should contact the District Attorney's Office in the county where the crime was prosecuted.
Resources for case managers
- Wisconsin Community Forensic Conditional Release Program Case Manager Procedure Manual, P-00704 (PDF)
- Community Supervision of Conditional Release Clients Under Wisconsin State Statute § 971.17 Not Guilty by Reason of Mental Disease of Defect Procedures Manual, P-00703 (PDF)
- Client Rights and the Grievance Procedure For the Community Forensic Services Programs, P-20142 (PDF)
- Order of Commitment, CR-271 (PDF)
Order of Commitment, CR-271 (Word)
- Order of Predisposition Investigation, CR-272 (PDF)
- Order of Supplementary Examination, CR-273 (PDF)
- Order for Conditional Release Plan, CR-274 (PDF)
- Order for Placement, CR-275 (PDF)
Order for Placement, CR-275 (Word)
- Order on Petition to Revoke Conditional Release, CR-276 (PDF)
- Order on Petition to Revoke Conditional Release, CR-276 (Word)
- Statement of Probable Cause and Detention and Petition for Revocation, F-25177
- Order of Discharge Upon Expiration of Commitment, F-25180
- Order to Transport, F-25205
- Petition for Capias (Arrest Warrant), F-25206
- Order Granting Capias (Arrest Warrant), F-25207
- Admission to Caseload - Mental Health, F-25213
- Conditional Release Rules and Conditions, F-25614
Resources for clients