Mosquitoes Need Water to Breed
Since all mosquitoes need a water source to breed, one of the most effective ways to control mosquitoes is to get rid of their breeding habitats.
Address common mosquito areas
Drain anything in your yard that collects water or allows water to stand. Mosquitoes only need a small amount of water to breed.Remove standing water from air conditioning units, tires, tarps, wheelbarrows, or other household items, and follow the following tips for removing and preventing standing water in your yard.
- Trash and Recycling Bins: Cover outdoor trash and recycling cans with tight-fitting lids.
- Flower Pots: Drain dishes under flowerpots every few days and after rainstorms.
- Leaves: Clean up leaves and yard debris from low-lying areas to reduce stagnant water pools.
- Gutters: Gutters and downspouts need to be kept clean and maintained as leaves can create pools of water.
- Tire Swing: Make a hole in the bottom of the swing to allow water to drain.
- Birdbaths: Replace water in birdbaths and fountains at least twice a week.
- Water Gardens and Fountains: Check with the Department of Natural Resources (DNR) to use larvicides in ponds, lakes, rivers and streams.
Mosquitoes transmit various diseases
There are various types of mosquitoes and these can carry and transmit various diseases, like the West Nile virus.
Questions? Can't find what you're looking for? Contact us!