We want to help older adults in Wisconsin achieve their best health. How do we do it? By using evidence-based programs.
"Evidence-based” is a title from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. They label health programs as “evidence-based” if:
- Scientific research shows that the program improves health and well-being or prevents illness and injury.
- Results of the research are published in a professional journal.
What these programs are like in Wisconsin
Many of our evidence-based programs in Wisconsin:
- Teach skills and strategies in a group setting. Some are one-on-one or family programs.
- Get licensed through the Wisconsin Institute for Healthy Aging. They manage the state’s evidence-based programs.
There are many examples of these types of programs. You can find the following at your county and tribal aging office or aging and disability resource center:
- Living Well with Chronic Conditions—Stanford’s Chronic Disease Self-Management Program. Tomando Control de su Salud is the Spanish language version. Both are proven to:
- Improve the ability to manage conditions.
- Improve health and well-being.
- Reduce days at the hospital.
- Healthy Living with Diabetes—Stanford’s Diabetes Self-Management Program. Vivir Saludable con Diabetes is the Spanish language version. Both are proven to:
- Decrease visits to the emergency department and hospital.
- Improve the ability to manage diabetes.
- Reduce blood sugar and A1c levels.
- Reduce bad symptoms of diabetes.
- Stepping On Fall Prevention Program—Proven to:
- Improve strength and balance.
- Prevent falls.
- Reduce visits to an emergency department and hospital because of a fall.
- Powerful Tools for Caregivers—Proven to:
- Build self-care skills.
- Help caregivers support loved ones, so they can live at home longer.
- Improve caregiver well-being.
How to find a program in my area
The Wisconsin Institute for Healthy Aging has more details about the programs listed on this page. You can also find future state programs.
For program information, contact either:
Some other programs include: