Dot gov

Official websites use .gov
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.


Secure .gov websites use HTTPS
A lock () or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Benefit Counseling: Benefit Specialists

This page includes information on benefit specialists and how they can help older adults and people with disabilities understand and apply for benefits.

What do benefit specialists do?

Benefit specialists provide trusted and confidential advice to older adults and people with disabilities about benefits, including health care, disability income, and programs that could save them money.

Benefit specialists can help with:

The services benefit specialists provide are free. They don’t sell anything and aren’t paid by a company or plan. Their only goal is to help you identify and apply for programs and health care that will best meet your needs.

Find examples of ways benefit specialists can help you.

Which benefit specialist is right for you?

There are different types of benefit specialists. They include:

Where can I find a benefit specialist?

Find a benefit specialist using our “Find a Benefit Specialist” page.

Last revised April 13, 2023