OraQuick® In-Home HIV Test
A new HIV test kit allows consumers to test themselves at home by using an oral swab and testing solution. Results can be read in 20 to 40 minutes. The federal Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved the OraQuick® In-Home HIV Test in July 2012. The test kit became available in October 2012 and is being sold nationally in several major pharmacies and retailers and through the Internet.
This new option for HIV testing is expected to result in several benefits, including:
- Increased awareness of the importance of HIV testing,
- Reduced stigma associated with HIV/AIDS,
- Increased testing among persons at high risk for HIV,
- Increased awareness of HIV status, and
- For persons testing positive, earlier access to medical care and the benefitsof HIV treatment.
Questions about the kit can be answered by OraQuick's trained operators using the toll-free 24/7 call center (866-436-6527). Operators can also refer people to local resources for follow-up testing and care. In addition, online videos will be posted on the OraQuick website showing how to perform the test correctly.