Wisconsin HIV Surveillance Activities
Wisconsin Stat. § 252.15 requires confidential, name-associated reporting of confirmed HIV infection to the state epidemiologist. Case reports are submitted to the Wisconsin HIV Program from private physicians, hospitals, clinics, ambulatory care facilities, sexually transmitted disease clinics, the Wisconsin correctional system, family planning clinics, perinatal clinics, tribal health clinics, blood and plasma centers, military entrance processing stations, and laboratories performing HIV testing.
Other sources of information about HIV infection include state programs (AIDS/HIV Drug Assistance Program and AIDS/HIV Health Insurance Premium Subsidy Program), the vital records death certificate registry, and the tuberculosis (TB) registry.
Laboratory-based reporting is required by law. Laboratories performing confidential name-associated HIV confirmatory testing report to the HIV Program the name of the subject of all positive samples and the name of the physician who ordered the test. This is useful for identifying people recently diagnosed with HIV. Clinicians must also report information on newly diagnosed cases to ensure all new diagnoses are reported.
For further information regarding reporting of cases of HIV or other surveillance activities, contact the HIV Program.
Wisconsin HIV Annual Surveillance Reports
- Annual report of HIV in Wisconsin through December 2020, P-00484 (PDF)
- 2-page summary of 2020 annual HIV surveillance report, P-02473 (PDF)
- Annual report of HIV in Wisconsin through December 2019, P-00484 (PDF)
- 2-page summary of 2019 annual HIV surveillance report, P-02473 (PDF)
- County and Statewide HIV Case Surveillance Data
- Annual report of HIV in Wisconsin through December 2018, P-00484 (PDF)
- 2-page summary of 2018 annual HIV surveillance report, P-02473 (PDF)
- Annual report of HIV in Wisconsin through December 2017, P-00484 (PDF)
- Brief overview (Executive Summary) of HIV in Wisconsin through December 2017, P-00792-18-july (PDF)
City of Milwaukee HIV Surveillance Reports
- HIV in the City of Milwaukee: Supplement to the HIV Surveillance Annual Report, 2020, P-00484A (PDF)
- HIV in the City of Milwaukee: Supplement to the HIV Surveillance Annual Report, 2019, P-00484A (PDF)
HIV Surveillance Webinar
The following are links to a five-part archived surveillance webinar about the Wisconsin Department of Health Services HIV/AIDS Annual Review: New Diagnoses, Prevalent Cases and Deaths through December 31, 2017.
- 2017 Data Concepts: Wisconsin HIV Surveillance Annual Review (6 minutes)
- 2017 Section 1: New diagnoses, prevalent cases, and deaths through December 2017 (6 minutes)
- 2017 Section 2: Wisconsin HIV Surveillance Annual Review: New Diagnoses (14 minutes)
- 2017 Section 3: Wisconsin HIV Surveillance Annual Review: Prevalence, HIV Care Outcomes, Deaths, and STI Co-infection (9 minutes)
- 2017 Section 4: Milwaukee HIV Surveillance Annual Review (22 minutes)
Special Reports and Presentations
Minority Health Disparities Profiles
- HIV in Black Men and Women in the City of Milwaukee, P-01207 (PDF)
- HIV in Hispanic/Latino Men and Women in the City of Milwaukee, P-01207a (PDF) Spanish Version (PDF)
- HIV in Females in Wisconsin, P-01207b (PDF)
- HIV in Youths Ages 13-24 in Wisconsin, P-01207c (PDF)
- HIV in American Indians in Wisconsin, P-01207d (PDF)
Select Analysis of Wisconsin Youth Risk Behavior Surveys
- Youth Risk Behavior Survey and Sexual Minority Youth in Wisconsin 2007-2011
Wisconsin Sexually Transmitted Diseases Program Reports
Healthiest Wisconsin 2020
NOTE: To download items listed above, "right click" on the link for the file to download, and select "Save Link" or "Save Target."