Wisconsin HIV Surveillance Activities
Wisconsin Stat. § 252.15 requires confidential, name-associated reporting of confirmed HIV infection to the state epidemiologist. Case reports are submitted to the Wisconsin HIV Program from private physicians, hospitals, clinics, ambulatory care facilities, sexually transmitted disease clinics, the Wisconsin correctional system, family planning clinics, perinatal clinics, tribal health clinics, blood and plasma centers, military entrance processing stations, and laboratories performing HIV testing.
Other sources of information about HIV infection include state programs (AIDS/HIV Drug Assistance Program and AIDS/HIV Health Insurance Premium Subsidy Program), the vital records death certificate registry, and the tuberculosis (TB) registry.
Laboratory-based reporting is required by law. Laboratories performing confidential name-associated HIV confirmatory testing report to the HIV Program the name of the subject of all positive samples and the name of the physician who ordered the test. This is useful for identifying people recently diagnosed with HIV. Clinicians must also report information on newly diagnosed cases to ensure all new diagnoses are reported.
For further information regarding reporting of cases of HIV or other surveillance activities, contact Emily Lankau at 608-266-3495.
Current Wisconsin HIV Statistics and Reports
- Annual report of HIV in Wisconsin through December 2017, P-00484 (PDF)
- Brief overview (Executive Summary) of HIV in Wisconsin through December 2017, P-00792-18-july (PDF)
- Wisconsin HIV/AIDS Surveillance Annual Review 2017—Addendum: City of Milwaukee: New Diagnoses, Prevalent Cases and Deaths Reported through December 31, 2017, P-00484A (PDF)
- Wisconsin Department of Health Services HIV Surveillance Annual Review: New Diagnoses, Prevalent Cases and Deaths Reported through December 31, 2016, P-00484 (PDF)
- PowerPoint Slides (with annotations): Wisconsin Department of Health Services HIV Surveillance Annual Review: New Diagnoses, Prevalent Cases and Deaths Reported through December 31, 2016, P-00484 (PPT)
(To view annotations in PowerPoint, save file (see "NOTE" below), select "View" tab, then select "Notes Page")
- Interactive Map of County HIV Case Surveillance Data
HIV Surveillance Webinar
The following are links to a five-part archived surveillance webinar about the Wisconsin Department of Health Services HIV/AIDS Annual Review: New Diagnoses, Prevalent Cases and Deaths through December 31, 2017.
- 2017 Data Concepts: Wisconsin HIV Surveillance Annual Review (6 minutes)
- 2017 Section 1: New diagnoses, prevalent cases, and deaths through December 2017 (6 minutes)
- 2017 Section 2: Wisconsin HIV Surveillance Annual Review: New Diagnoses (14 minutes)
- 2017 Section 3: Wisconsin HIV Surveillance Annual Review: Prevalence, HIV Care Outcomes, Deaths, and STI Co-infection (9 minutes)
- 2017 Section 4: Milwaukee HIV Surveillance Annual Review (22 minutes)
City of Milwaukee HIV Surveillance Reports
Special Reports and Presentations
Minority Health Disparities Profiles
- HIV in Black Men and Women in the City of Milwaukee, P-01207 (PDF)
- HIV in Hispanic/Latino Men and Women in the City of Milwaukee, P-01207a (PDF) Spanish Version (PDF)
- HIV in Females in Wisconsin, P-01207b (PDF)
- HIV in Youths Ages 13-24 in Wisconsin, P-01207c (PDF)
- HIV in American Indians in Wisconsin, P-01207d (PDF)
Select Analyses of Wisconsin Youth Risk Behavior Surveys
- Youth Risk Behavior Survey and Sexual Minority Youth in Wisconsin 2007-2011
- Full Report Presentation P-00827 (PDF)
- PDF Slides and Notes P-00827-slides (to view notes, hover cursor over "conversation bubble" in upper left corner of slides) (PDF)
- Webinar Presentation: Part 1 of 2
- Webinar Presentation: Part 2 of 2
Wisconsin Sexually Transmitted Diseases Program Reports
Healthiest Wisconsin 2020
NOTE To download items listed above, "right click" on the link for the file to download, and select "Save Link" or "Save Target."