Flu vaccine is critical for people with asthma during COVID-19
Getting a flu vaccine this fall is especially important for people of all ages with asthma because of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.
People with asthma are at a higher risk of developing complications from flu. They also have an increased risk for serious outcomes from COVID-19.
Learn more about getting the flu vaccination.
COVID-19 impact on Asthma
Learn how asthma can be impacted by COVID-19.
About the Asthma Program
The Wisconsin Department of Health Services has been conducting asthma surveillance activities since 1992 and asthma interventions since 1994.
Since 2001, the Wisconsin Asthma Program has expanded its activities under a cooperative agreement with the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
In 2003, the Wisconsin Asthma Plan was adopted to provide the blueprint for addressing asthma as a public health priority, and lists the prioritized goals, objectives, and activities recommended for statewide action to reduce the burden of asthma in Wisconsin.
The Wisconsin Asthma Program partners with the Wisconsin Asthma Coalition to accomplish the goals and activities in the Wisconsin Asthma Plan.
For more information, click on the links below.
- Wisconsin Asthma Plan 2021-2025 (11/2020). The Wisconsin Asthma Coalition asthma plan includes strategies to improve asthma outcomes.
- Influenza vaccination rates among people with asthma, P-01218 (08/2020)
- Asthma Care Home Program Shows Improved Outcomes and Cost Savings, P-02403. Evaluation shows a reduction in asthma-related hospitalizations and emergency department visits.
- Asthma Care Program Guidebook, P-02168. A comprehensive asthma educational tool used to educate asthma patients and caregivers.
- Asthma Burden 2020 Report, P-02412-20. A summary of the asthma burden in Wisconsin.
- Maintain and expand asthma surveillance efforts.
- Facilitate implementation of the Wisconsin Asthma Plan.
- Prioritize and implement public health interventions for asthma.
- Build local capacity to identify, evaluate and implement actions.