Asthma ranks as an important public health issue in Wisconsin, and is routinely identified as a high priority in state and federal public health plans. Statewide asthma surveillance data demonstrate that such attention is warranted, and these data have helped identify populations where the burden of asthma in the state is particularly high.
DHS comprehensively addresses the burden of asthma through surveillance, partnerships, and interventions. Forming strong collaborations and partnerships with key asthma stakeholders around the state has been one of the program's greatest strengths over the past 15 years.
Living with Asthma Video
Living with Asthma: Families Speak (Adobe Connect, help)
The Wisconsin Department of Health Services, American Lung Association in Wisconsin and Wisconsin Asthma Coalition have developed this informational asthma video geared toward parents of children with asthma. The video features four families telling their asthma story along with professional commentary on the facts surrounding this chronic condition. The video discusses:
- What is asthma?
- Its symptoms and triggers
- Asthma action plans and asthma medicines
- The importance of good communication between families, doctors, school nurses, coaches, relatives, and others who take care of a child with asthma.
Order copies of the video
If you have any questions about ordering the video, please contact the American Lung Association at 262-703-4200.
Burden of Asthma in Wisconsin, 2013
Burden of Asthma in Wisconsin, 2013 (P-45055) (PDF, 9.9 MB) This comprehensive statistical report about asthma in Wisconsin is an update of our 2010 burden report. The report includes information on the following topics:
- Who has asthma in Wisconsin?
- Factors associated with asthma
- Asthma management and quality of life
- Work-related asthma
- Health care utilization for asthma
- Asthma in government-funded programs
- Asthma mortality
- Meeting Healthy People 2020 Asthma Goals in Wisconsin
Local Data: See Asthma Facts and Figures specific to each local asthma coalition, on the Wisconsin Asthma Coalition page.