OBVI: Computer and Assistive Technology for Blind and Visually Impaired Persons
If you have a question that isn't answered below, please email the Office for the Blind and Visually Impaired (OBVI).
The following companies focus on software/hardware products, which enable visually impaired / blind individuals to operate computers. These companies may be able to assist you in locating software / hardware for other types of disabilities.
Freedom Scientific Blind/Low Vision Group
11800 31st Court
North St. Petersburg, FL 33716
800-444-4443 (Toll free in U.S. and Canada)
- "Freedom Scientific's" mission is to change the world for people with sensory and learning disabilities by creating innovative assistive technology products and solutions.
- This webpage will provide you with information about "JAWS," "Magic," "OpenBook," "Braille & Speak," and so much more (Freedom Scientific has merged with Henter-Joyce, Blazie and Arkenstone).
6244 King Road
Loomis, Ca 95650
- HumanWare, Inc. specializes in assistive technology for persons who have difficulties reading print due to blindness, low vision, or learning and/or reading disabilities.
- They strive to maintain a strong emphasis on reading, writing, and general literacy through information access and management hardware, software and support services.
- Their solutions include:
- Complete computer systems for information access
- BrailleNote, VoiceNote, Windows CE-based personal notetakers
- Braille terminals including the revolutionary new Braille Voyager with Tieman Express macro editor
- Screen reading programs including JAWS for Windows, Window-Eyes, Dolphin, and ALVA
- Braille embossers
- The MB Pro Braille writer
- Kurzweil scan and read systems